Tamron 35mm f2.8 lens

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
I bought this lens a month or so ago and am quite impressed with it.
I use it as 35mm walkabout lens and I'm not too bothered about macro use, but it does do 1:2 macro.
I wanted a good quality lightweight 35mm lens as this is my preferred focal length for a walkabout prime lens and this lens was the best compromise considering the cost £250 compared to the Sony 35 f1,8 costing £500).
The focus isn't blinding fast but certainly adequate and accurate. The image quality is excellent, I'm well pleased.
The size and weight are also OK, it's not that big nor particularly heavy.
Overall it's a great lens for the purpose I bought it for and I'd recommend it to anyone wanting a lens of this focal length.

Here's a photo I took using it recently before the lock down.

Lighthouse and "The Wine Tower", Fraserburgh, NE Scotland

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The Sony/Zeiss is fine piece of glass; I used to have one myself (one I regret selling). But even used the Sony is quite a bit more expensive compared to a brand new Tamron lens.

The Sony/Zeiss is fine piece of glass; I used to have one myself (one I regret selling). But even used the Sony is quite a bit more expensive compared to a brand new Tamron lens.
Here in The Netherlands a Tamron 2.8/35 is € 435 new, a Sony FE 2.8/35 ZA can be had used for € 400 or even less sometimes. I already have the Sony and my sample is not the best one, but I still would get the Sony if I had to start over. This Tamron standardization on 67mm filter thread may be a good idea in general, but because of this the primes are way bigger than they need to be.

Kiwi Paul

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Paul
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just curious, why not just pick up a nice used copy of the Sony/Zeiss 35f2.8 lens? Mine's treated me well.
The Tamron is fine, I used to have the Sony 35 2.8 and the Tamron is just as good from my POV and has macro capability as well. I got the Tamron new for £250 the Sony used was around £300 for a "Good" cond one and around £340 for an excellent cond one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom