• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 FE will be $799!

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Wait, if you have the Voigtlander 21/1.8, what do you need anything else for? Wide angle MF is great!

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I need AF for event type of shooting such as group shot and event candid. I can use the Voiglander 21mm f/1.8 with TAP but I prefer reliable AF for possible paid event shooting. Also, I try to use the TAP for lighter lenses. For personal traveling, I can go with Voiglander with MF.

I have my Tokina 20-35mm now mounted on my A7r2. I will push myself to more usage and see if I can keep the combo -- it is quite heavy and not well balanced with the LA-EA4 mounted and hence the thought of exchange to better gear. I may trade in my Voiglander 21mm to a finer AF wide zoom for event.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I need AF for event type of shooting such as group shot and event candids. I can use the Voiglander 21mm f/1.8 with TAP but the weight may be too much for TAP to handle and I prefer reliable AF. I have my Tokina 20-35mm now mounted on my A7r2. I will push myself and see if I can keep the combo -- it is quite heavy and not well balanced with the LA-EA4 mounted.

Thanks,
Hin

I think the Tokina 20mm f2 Firin AF FE lens would be the way to go, too bad it's almost $1000 USD! I have the Nikon 20mm f1.8 G lens I use on the Commlite ENF-E1 PRO adapter. Works great, but I don't think it's worth the investment unless you also shoot Nikon DSLRs.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
If the 16-35/4 is beyond your price range, the Tokina Firin 20/2 may be as well. But I would think that is the only real alternative AF lens option to pair with the Tamron if you can't afford the 25mm Batis or 16-35/4. The Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 FE is just way too wide, it is a specialty lens for sure, that will leave you with a gap between 15-27mm which is enormous. I would say your current 20-35 is already probably the best solution given your budget constraints.

I took your advice and I have kept shooting for 1.5 weeks on nothing but the Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8. Its performance in wide open indoor is great. The weight does bother a bit with the LA-EA4 mounted but performance is good. I have withdrawn it from sale.

28881452698_cecf1202de_b.jpg
   ---            

20180610-DSC00331

by Hin Man, on Flickr

42705661652_fb0f11a16f_b.jpg
   ---            

20180610-DSC00336

by Hin Man, on Flickr

42665093672_c517128665_b.jpg
   ---            

20180609-DSC00270-Edit

by Hin Man, on Flickr

Thanks,
Hin

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I took your advice and I have kept shooting for 1.5 weeks on nothing but the Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8. Its performance in wide open indoor is great. The weight does bother a bit with the LA-EA4 mounted but performance is good. I have withdrawn it from sale.

View attachment 91927
20180610-DSC00331
by Hin Man, on Flickr

View attachment 91928
20180610-DSC00336
by Hin Man, on Flickr

View attachment 91929
20180609-DSC00270-Edit
by Hin Man, on Flickr

Thanks,
Hin

Do you have a picture of your setup? How bulky is it?

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
It's a great performer, obviously. And a 20-35 f/2.8 zoom sounds sweet! But after lugging around the Tamron 24-70 & LA-EA3 combo for a while, I vowed never again to listen to that siren song.

There's always a tradeoff, isn't there? :rolleyes-20:

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
There's always a tradeoff somewhere! Price, size/weight, IQ... one of these things tends to have to give.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
1. Tokina ATX Pro 20-35mm f/2.8 Sony A mount ($230 Withdrawn + shipping)

View attachment 91932
20150502-DSC09974
by Hin Man, on Flickr

View attachment 91933
20150502-DSC09972
by Hin Man, on Flickr

View attachment 91934
20150502-DSC09853
by Hin Man, on Flickr

Copied from Buy & Sell posting. Will measure the weight. The overall combo is not too bulky for a f/2.8 lens but just a bit heavy for me who are spoiled with Vogilander 40mm and Pentax primes that are compact and lightweight.

Cheers,
Hin

Whoa, that's pretty large! since I tend to use these wide angle lenses at their widest, I prefer primes. My general rule is that adapted lenses need a certain advantage for me taking into account price, size, weight and aperture.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
It is not too large by my standard. If it can shed the weight of the adapter, it is a perfect wide zoom for me. If I ever go FF on dSLR on Sony A99 types, this will be a good lens to keep. Of course it is large to compare to a small prime. In terms of size, it is around the same size like the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0. When I get the Tamron 28-75mm zoom, I will put them next to each other. I already sold my Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 in Pentax KA mount; otherwise, I will put them next to each other and they are comparable. With the added LA-EA4 adapter, the size does not bother me as much as the weight. Anyway, the zoom is very nice as a four fast primes in one as 20, 24, 28, 35 and I use 20, 24 and 35 the most in event type of shooting where lens changing is not desirable. I have used the sigma 16mm in aps-c crop equivalent to 24mm FF and it is good in landscape but not wide enough for group shot in tight space, the 20mm to 16mm in FF view will come in handy for group shot or landscapes.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I played with a demo Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 today! Wow, great size, not too heavy and it felt very good in hand. It represents everything that FF mirrorless should be! I like that it's gasketed on the rear mount and build quality is fairly solid. Considering the price point, I have no complaints! Definitely a winner. Now only if they were in stock! :rolleyes::D;)

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I played with a demo Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 today! Wow, great size, not too heavy and it felt very good in hand. It represents everything that FF mirrorless should be! I like that it's gasketed on the rear mount and build quality is fairly solid. Considering the price point, I have no complaints! Definitely a winner. Now only if they were in stock! :rolleyes::D;)

Check around at some smaller stores. That's how I got mine instantly and was able to drop off a long waiting list at B&H.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Have you heard about the AF issues?

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I saw that, I wonder if it's a manufacturing defect though? Tamron said it's a FW fix, but it makes me wonder why it's taken so long for new stock to arrive?

The reason it's taking long for new stock to arrive was addressed in a company statement before Tamron ever delivered the first production FE 28-75. Demand has been surprisingly high and even some of the people who pre-ordered would have wait longer than first expected. It's got nothing to do with the firmware update or any autofocus issues.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
Should I stop my pre-order in Adorama and wait and see what happens to the back-order and wait for more reviews to be sure. I rather wait then be the first to find the problems. I don't know the AF issues that others have mentioned. I will appreciate thread pointers to get informed. Thanks!

update: I have left a message to cancel my order. I have not sold my FE kit zoom. I will withhold it for use until things clear up and that order can be purchased without much waiting. I ordered it in mid May expecting delivery in mid June.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Should I stop my pre-order in Adorama and wait and see what happens to the back-order and wait for more reviews to be sure. I rather wait then be the first to find the problems. I don't know the AF issues that others have mentioned. I will appreciate thread pointers to get informed. Thanks!

update: I have left a message to cancel my order. I have not sold my FE kit zoom. I will withhold it for use until things clear up and that order can be purchased without much waiting. I ordered it in mid May expecting delivery in mid June.

Since it covers the same range as your kit lens, I wouldn't be in any rush. BTW - Unique Photo seems to have some stock, but they said it will take 5 days to deliver.

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I saw two posts on FB with Sony enthusiast happy with their Tamron zoom that the focusing issue is fixed. Do any of you hear something similar? Does it come in a firmware? Has any more people getting this Tamron zoom lens. I pre-ordered it, saw the focusing issue, cancel pre-order and now about to order again but this time, I may order from Amazon for the faster delivery.

Any insights to this lens is appreciated? Sine the wide end is not wide enough, do you think getting the Samyang 24mm f/2.8 with AF is justified and a good pair for light and compact. Your thoughts.

update
: I find the Tamron firmware update in TAMRON | Support

And I see Jason Wong youtube

Cheers,
Hin

Latest threads

Top Bottom