Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 FE will be $799!

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Would love to see some samples! I was actually pretty fine with the sharpness of my 28-70 kit lens when I had it, and my thinking is that this would be the one-lens option for whenever I physically could not take another lens with me or if lens changing is out of the question, so I am curious. I took a look at a dummy 24-105/4 today, and the weight was a little off-putting. I really am looking forward to some kind of comparison between them.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
Ok not very scientific, here are 2 shots at 1/250 iso 100 at 2.8 at 28mm and 75mm on a7rii Out of camera jpg no edit. I stood in the same spot for both pictures.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
Ok not very scientific, here are 2 shots at 1/250 iso 100 at 2.8 at 28mm and 75mm on a7rii Out of camera jpg no edit. I stood in the same spot for both pictures. View attachment 91209View attachment 91208
These look great. I know your a prime shooter so you may a be a bit more critical, but are you happy with the results you're getting from the zoom?

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
These look great. I know your a prime shooter so you may a be a bit more critical, but are you happy with the results you're getting from the zoom?
Yes, for the most part. I’ll have to try it in lowlight. I am one of those people who are never happy with anything. The close focusing distance is really good. Out of focus areas are not too distracting. I noticed when you turn on the camera with the lens attached the aperture opens up all the way for a split second and then closes a bit. It says it’s 2.8 on the camera but looks like it can open wider.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin
Ok, just took the lens out again with my son for a walk. I put in manual focus, this lens is super sharp when you nail it. At all distances. Auto focus may be slightly off. I’ll have to do further tests when I can. But DMF and manual yield great results. Super sharp, again, super sharp.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Ok, just took the lens out again with my son for a walk. I put in manual focus, this lens is super sharp when you nail it. At all distances. Auto focus may be slightly off. I’ll have to do further tests when I can. But DMF and manual yield great results. Super sharp, again, super sharp.
You have the 85mm 1.8 FE right? How's the sharpness at 75mm with the Tamron and how does it compare with the prime? Man, kind of bummed my order got cancelled, because I missed it by 10 minutes! :D

Biro

TalkEmount Regular
Picked up my Tamron 28-75 yesterday. A busy but rainy weekend in my parts. I hope to get some shots off tomorrow.

P.S. Last week, the Tamron representative was unable to provide me with any hints about native wide-angle or telephoto zooms for Sony FE. I got the impression that nothing will be happening right away.

So... when I picked up the 28-75, I played with both the 12-24 and the 16-35 f/4 zooms. I really liked the 12-24 in many ways (including the AF/MF switch on the lens body). But I think I'll use the longer end of the 16-35 much more often than I'll use 12mm. I hope I guessed right.

Either way, I bought the 16-35 f/4 ($300 less than the 12-24). It's way more money than I had planned to spend right now. I think I'm finished with any more major purchases this year.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
Thanks Kevin! The bokeh is surprisingly (and pleasingly) good for a zoom. I can't complain about the sharpness (it looks fine to me), as I don't expect zooms to be great for anything but convenience as I am a prime shooter myself too.

Deadbear77

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Kevin

Original 75mm 2.8

Crop at 75mm 2.8

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I have placed my order with Adorama. I wish I can get it from Amazon with prime 2 day shipping. It is back-ordered and I expect late June delivery. I have sold my Sony SAM 28-75mm f/2.8 and pushing my kit FE 28-70 f/3.5-5.6. I should have placed my order earlier.

Thanks to everyone who kindly show their vote of confidence in this lens. I plan to have this zoom along with either a prime or a wide zoom. Right now I am thinking of APS-C like the 10-18 but also like the Laowa 15mm f/2.0 . I currently have Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 to fill my wide zoom need -- it is listed on buy&sell and I am looking for a replacement that does away with the LA-EA4 adapter. The 16-35mm f/4.0 will be ideal for my use but it is way out of my budget as a enthusiast. Recommendations are welcome to cover the wide need when one purchase the Tamron 28-70 FE f/2.8.

Cheers,
Hin

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
If the 16-35/4 is beyond your price range, the Tokina Firin 20/2 may be as well. But I would think that is the only real alternative AF lens option to pair with the Tamron if you can't afford the 25mm Batis or 16-35/4. The Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 FE is just way too wide, it is a specialty lens for sure, that will leave you with a gap between 15-27mm which is enormous. I would say your current 20-35 is already probably the best solution given your budget constraints.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I have placed my order with Adorama. I wish I can get it from Amazon with prime 2 day shipping. It is back-ordered and I expect late June delivery. I have sold my Sony SAM 28-75mm f/2.8 and pushing my kit FE 28-70 f/3.5-5.6. I should have placed my order earlier.

Thanks to everyone who kindly show their vote of confidence in this lens. I plan to have this zoom along with either a prime or a wide zoom. Right now I am thinking of APS-C like the 10-18 but also like the Laowa 15mm f/2.0 . I currently have Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 to fill my wide zoom need -- it is listed on buy&sell and I am looking for a replacement that does away with the LA-EA4 adapter. The 16-35mm f/4.0 will be ideal for my use but it is way out of my budget as a enthusiast. Recommendations are welcome to cover the wide need when one purchase the Tamron 28-70 FE f/2.8.

Cheers,
Hin
The Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 III M mount lens is decent. It's ultra compact for it's FL and can be decently sharp if utilized properly. The ver. II can be found for even cheaper, but it has color cast issues on non-BSI sensors.

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary
The Voigtlander 15mm f4.5 III M mount lens is decent. It's ultra compact for it's FL and can be decently sharp if utilized properly. The ver. II can be found for even cheaper, but it has color cast issues on non-BSI sensors.
It's a great lens with exceptional sunstars. I keep talking myself out of owning it. That said, the BSI sensor may have mitigated the color cast, but version II still has corner smearing on all Sony cameras.

quezra

TalkEmount All-Pro
If the 16-35/4 is beyond your price range, the Tokina Firin 20/2 may be as well. But I would think that is the only real alternative AF lens option to pair with the Tamron if you can't afford the 25mm Batis or 16-35/4. The Samyang/Rokinon 14/2.8 FE is just way too wide, it is a specialty lens for sure, that will leave you with a gap between 15-27mm which is enormous. I would say your current 20-35 is already probably the best solution given your budget constraints.
As if Samyang wanted me to eat these words, SAR just leaked a new Samyang 24/2.8:
(SR5) First leaked images of the new Samyang 24mm f/2.8 FE autofocus lens! - sonyalpharumors

Looks like your timing is perfect!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount Top Veteran
It's a great lens with exceptional sunstars. I keep talking myself out of owning it. That said, the BSI sensor may have mitigated the color cast, but version II still has corner smearing on all Sony cameras.
I got the ver. II for cheap, even though I've tried and prefer the ver. III! I'm waiting to find a good deal before upgrading. ;)

Hin Man

TalkEmount Veteran
I have the FE 35 and FE 55 and I am quite happy with primes and the Tamron 28-75mm FE f/2.8 will be my go-to zoom lens to use for events and traveling with 1-lens. And I do love the use of my Sigma 16mm f/1.4 in crop mode with A7r2 to get 24mm equivalent view.

And I think my current choice of Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 in A-mount is a already a pretty good choice for my tight enthusiast budget. I find it a bit too heavy and bulky when mounted with LA-EA4 adapter. I may try it out using plain Sony A to E adapter and go with manual focusing and see if I get used to it or further shoot more with the LA-EA4 to be sure. The lens itself is quite good but the need of the heavier adapter and the loss of 1/3 stop of light has taken off points in terms of paper. The limited 17, maybe 15, PDAF points are limiting as compared to native lens. I will need to force myself to shoot more to figure out. I may also try a copy of Tamron/Minolta 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 in A-mount. I have a copy of Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4.0 in Pentax K-mount and I find it quite good but not outstanding and the Tamron is lighter and with longer range over the Tokina.

Thanks to all the valuable inputs for my wide zoom needs between 16 - 35mm range to complement the Tamron zoom. I may also think of fast prime in 14/15 plus a 20/21 to fill the need. I have Voiglander 21mm f/1.8 which I like, the voiglander 15mm or the Laowa 15mm f/2.0 and Tokina Frinn 20mm f/2 are high on my list to research.

Cheers,
Hin

Latest posts

Top Bottom