1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 FE will be $799!

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by JonathanF2, Apr 27, 2018.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    • Like Like x 3
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Nah, too short on both ends for me.

3. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    That's what the Tokina 20mm f2 FE and the Sigma 105mm 1.4 Art FE are for! :yahoo::D 

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I'm considering it based on the price, size and aperture. I'm not really a "zoom" guy but this would make a good kit/walk around lens.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Good zoom range and good price. If it has better IQ than the Sony 28-70 I might pick it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    On my radar.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Be a good match with my sigma 70-200 2.

8. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Definitely on the radar and If the IQ proves out, I'll get it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 18, 2013
    I prefer 24 to 75 but I have the original Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 in Pentax K-mount and the old version was a dependable zoom lens and I expect no less in the new version. Just wish they would have a 24mm to 75mm version for consideration. But a definite good choice that I will consider subject to reviews and other people's feedback.

Cheers,
    Hin

10. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I would prefer 24-75, but there’s currently no way to make an AF FF f2.8 lens of that focal length range compact. It’s a compromise we have to live with if we want a compact 2.8 standard zoom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    You can always Pano and crop if you need to go wider. :dance:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I've got the Sony 28-70 and have been on the hunt for the 24-105. Yeah, 24-70 or 75 would be better. But this new Tamron is f/2.8 and weighs more like f/4 glass of the same focal range - at a third the price of other f/2.8 lenses. Too good to be true? Maybe. But count me among those who are interested. I still have a Tamron 17-50 and 70-200 f/2.8 for my old Pentax kit. And they have been good, solid lenses.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  13. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    Really depends on the IQ.
    My experience of Tamron zooms on Nikon DSLR was that the IQ is pretty mediocre.
    I would rather pay more and carry more weight for a Sony with better IQ and a few mm advantage at the wide end, than pay cheap and get more of the Tamron so-so-ness that I have ended frustrated and disappointed with.

• Sad Sad x 1
  14. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    I have to disagree with you. The original version for dslr zoom's build is not up to the solid build or native lens standard but image quality is above average. Many people including me like this zoom lens on the Pentax community.

2637853087_aa7c6f7729_b.
    IMGP0998

by Hin Man, on Flickr

Cheers,
    Hin

• Like Like x 2
  15. Golfhacker27

Golfhacker27 TalkEmount Regular

May 15, 2016
    @Hin Man@Hin Man
    1. Thank you for the ‘sad’ smiley on my post. How kind.
    2. I am just sharing my recent experience of the mediocrity of Tamron zooms. I think that is the objective of forums : to share experience and views?.....
    3. Define ‘average/above average’ (average = 50%? Above average = 60%?). I would rather spend 1k on excellent IQ than waste 0.5k on average/above-average. I may only be there once in my life and/or get the chance of that shot once in my life. I don’t want to walk away with average or above average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hin Man

Jan 18, 2013
    We have to agree to disagree. And I mark the previous post as Agree. When I refer to above average quality, I am referring to 75% range of quality. This lens can be bought for $250 used for an excellent copy. Maybe it differs on other mount on Canon and Nikon. For me I much rather look at the image quality and trusted reviews rather than price tag or what others have said or hype on the ultimate gear. I am not professional and it is acceptable to me to use gear that is above average while it is not necessary the best money can buy. That actually gives me the challenge to work with the gear with imperfections and make art form that is both meaningful and rewarding in the final pictures.

Cheers,
    Hin

• Like Like x 1
  17. JonathanF2

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles, USA
    Are you referring to the older Tamron zooms or the newer Tamron G2 2.8 series zooms? The new ones seem highly rated. Just a few years ago, Sigma was known for making shoddy, budget lenses that'd you get if you couldn't afford a Canon or Nikon. Nowadays the Sigma Art series are the most highly coveted lenses for their sharpness and build quality! Tamron has recently gone through the same transition towards higher quality. Not to mention Sony has a financial stake in Tamron. Sony would be shooting their investment in the foot if the upcoming 28-75mm 2.8 FE ends up being a bust! ;) 

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Agree.

I also think it's not helpful to use the DSLR 28-75mm as a reference for the quality of this newly designed lens. Even without great detail you can see there are several differences between this e-mount version and the old DSLR versions.

New coatings, New silent motor, MFD is nearly half the older version, better build quality (Dust and moister resistant).

Basically we need to wait and see because newer Tamrons, as with newer Sigma's, have actually been matching their OEM counterparts. In the case of Sigma Art series, most have actually been decidedly better than OEM.

• Like Like x 2
  19. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Preview of Tamron. They emphasize this is a new design from the ground up

• Like Like x 5
  20. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Sounds pretty great. As long as the IQ is there, and I suspect it will be, I think this lens will sell quite well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.