• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Tamron 28-200mm F/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD Lens - Anyone getting one?

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
This is intriguing. I do not normally use zooms. I have the Sony 70-200 f/4 but it tends to stay on the shelf, especially when I travel. But this would make a very, very simple travel all-in-one lens for me. I could sell the Sony zoom and get this one. It does not really matter if the Sony would be a little better since it would be probably still sitting on the shelf at home. On the other hand, low funds, reduced work hours, no travel. . .

So keep posting your images. I will need to enjoy this lens vicariously.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is intriguing. I do not normally use zooms. I have the Sony 70-200 f/4 but it tends to stay on the shelf, especially when I travel. But this would make a very, very simple travel all-in-one lens for me. I could sell the Sony zoom and get this one. It does not really matter if the Sony would be a little better since it would be probably still sitting on the shelf at home. On the other hand, low funds, reduced work hours, no travel. . .

So keep posting your images. I will need to enjoy this lens vicariously.
As I've discovered with my 70-200mm f4 FE with OSS, in-lens + in-body stabilization matters when you start shooting at longer focal lengths and optically as a dedicated telephoto zoom, it's still better in real world usage. Build quality is also better. Like you though, it was sitting on the shelf only for those oft-times when I purposely brought it with me. I find the Tamron 28-200mm far more useful because it can act as a fast 28mm 2.8 prime. You can even lock it in place and it'll work like a prime! Optically I notice some distortion at 28mm, but sharpness holds up just fine. When you need to zoom, just unlock it and it's good enough at the 200mm FL range when you need it. Also the Tamron has a rubber gasket at the mount and in critical areas of the lens construction, something the Sony lens lacks.

Anyways, I have my Sony 70-200mm f4 boxed up and ready to sell!

Top Bottom