1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tamron 18200 versus SEL18200

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Storm420, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Storm420

Storm420 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Your thoughts on which is the better purchase?? :confused:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Here's how they compare:

SEL18200 LE = Tamron 18-200 Di III.
    SEL18200PZ = bigger, heavier, more expensive, with better optical stabilization for video and power zoom. Overall it's a better performer than the Tamron one, but with a huge price to pay for that.
    SEL18200 = a little bigger and more expensive, with active steady shot for video and a little better build quality - although it has some amount of zoom creap which the Tamron does not. It's less sharp in the corners and a little sharper in the center. Renders colors better (personal preference).

So in the end, the Tamron is probably the best all in one zoom for APS-C E-mount photographers. For videographers, there are much better solutions.

• Like Like x 4
  3. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Poki...
    If cost wasn't an issue, how would the SEL18200PZ fair as a video lens on the A6000 compared to the other two?
    What lens would you recommend for video?

Thanks! :)

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For video, there are three things to consider.

First, do you ever shoot on anything but a tripod (so handheld or on a steadycam)? Then, only the SEL18200 or the SEL18200PZ are viable options due to there active steady shot.

Second, do you plan to zoom while shooting video? This, sometimes, is necessary due to some effects you don't get otherwise (that was a standard technique in the Indiana Jones movies). With non-power zoom lenses, you would need a focus gear accessory in order to zoom smooth enough. With the power zoom lens, obviously, there's no need for that.

Third, the optical quality. For video, resolution is not so important as you only will shoot at 2 MP (or 8 for 4k). What's more important is vignetting, color rendering, CA and so on. In most of these regards, the power zoom version is superior to the other two (in fact, it is even sharper when used for stills). It's an impressive super zoom lens, certainly when compared to similar lenses. But it's big, heavy and expensive. Only you can decide which compromise you want to make.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks Poki for the advice.

I was wondering if the SEL18200PZ could replace my dedicated Sony HDR-CX150 Handycam camcorder.
    I don't do too much video, but would like to see if I could "kill 2 birds with one stone" with this lens.

The size & weight is a factor...probably the biggest concern about the lens.
    The cost is also a concern, but I'm looking at a used one for only $550 in new condition.

Would this be a wise decision? :confused:

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hmm.. I'm not sure that'd be the best decision for on-the-go video. The CX150 has a 25x optical zoom vs. 11x of the 18-200. The CX150 has a better form factor for video than the A6000 and it's much smaller and lighter than the 18-200. The codec is about the same at 24 Mbps AVCHD max for the CX150 and 24 / 28 Mbps (24p / 50p) for the A6000. As for the pure video quality, I'm honestly not sure. From a pure technical point of view, the A6000 with 18-200PZ should be superior, but knowing from experience, Sony doesn't do a good job with their APS-C video readouts. As you already have both cameras, that's at least something you can compare for yourself.

My advice? For the long term, it's a very wise decision. You can keep your lens and whenever you upgrade your stills camera, you'll automatically upgrade your video camera. This will not only save money, it is also a lot more convenient as you don't have to deal with two different types of batteries and chargers, and you only need to bring one camera. In the short term, though, I'm not whether this is enough of an upgrade to warrant the price tag of the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Thanks again for you kind insight.

Seeing how far the video in cameras has evolved, I thought that the A6000 could do double duty.
    This way I wouldn't require two seperate units to capture both photos & video.
    It seems that the best options are still camera for stills shots & camcorder for video.

I appreciate the help.

~William

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    An NEX will capture great video, and does well, but simply has it's limitations.

It all depends on what you want. If you plan on shooting a lot of video, a camera is not your best choice. However, if you only ocassionaly take a few quick vids, you can have some nice results.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dragion

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I'm no videographer or even a photographer...just like to capture photos & videos of my family events and special occasions.
    The size/weight of my camcorder is miniscule compared to the SEL18200PZ & a6000.

It would have been ideal if the SEL18200PZ & a6000 combo was more of an upgrade. :(

10. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Have you also consider the PZ 18-105 for video? It got quite a good review in sonyalphalabs.com

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yodaque

Yodaque New to TalkEmount

Jul 4, 2014
    Pléiade Read this evaluation before your comments :

http://sonyalphalab.com/product-review/sony-18-200mm-f3-5-6-3-oss-lens-sel18200le-hands-on-review/

"As you can see from the images above the New Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens (SEL18200LE) is much lighter and smaller than the other Sony model (SEL1800), and nearly identical to the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III VC lens. There are some important differences though!!

Check out where the lens mounts to the camera. The Tamron has a silver ring and raised white line indicator, where as the Sony is all black with just a white dot.

If you look inside the lenses we have LD and XR elements in the Tamron vs ED elements in the Sony. ED (extra low dispersion) is better than LD (low dispersion), so naturally the Sony should be a tab bit better in some areas. I’ll let you be the judge by checking out lots of sample photos with 100% crops at all sorts of focal lengths. I really took a lot of photos as the versatility of this lens made it an easy choice for almost all situations. I also really enjoy using high focal length lenses in general. "

The answer is ... Sony SEL18200LE is better lens, NOT the TAMRON !

• Like Like x 1
  12. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, the color difference can't really be called "better", can it? As for the lens elements - they are just differently branded, they are the same. So it's just a matter of which is cheaper, after all.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Everyone is saying both the Sony and Tamron lens are the same. How can they be the same if the glass is different?

What about the firmware for the lens? Same or different?

Thoughts?

14. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    good question.
    one more what would perform better in terms of quality
    A. the SEL1855 and the SEL50210 (changing lenses as needed )
    or
    B.the SEL18200 or the respective Tamron.
    Which of the two?
    Regards
    Alex

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Sony 18-200 LE (!) is the same as the Tamron 18-200, the older, bigger, heavier Sony 18-200 is a completely different lens. Also, there's a difference between the former two - the Sony one does support PDAF while the Tamron doesn't.

Hard to tell. Neither of the mentioned lenses is exceptionally good, but they aren't bad either. I'd say quality wise, it's not a huge difference. What you win with the two lens combo is a faster aperture at 55mm (f/3.5 as opposed to f/4.5), but at the cost of convenience, which is the main selling factor for superzooms.

16. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    What is PDAF?

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
  18. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Iv'e been researching this subject myself this week

I thought this video comparison was interesting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2_kg-vbeSk

From all my searching it seems like the sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 pz oss ( SELP18200 ) is slightly better than both the (SEL18200) and the Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC (AFB011-700) in Image Quality.
    It's to be noted that while the new sony 18-200mm LE ( SEL18200LE ) looks like the Tamron, they are not the same lens.
    * The Sony SEL1820LE has been modified for quicker auto-focus with e-mount Alphas and NEX compared to the Tamron AFB011-700. It's possible this modification has also affected IQ thus basically making the two lenses different*

Here is an interesting side beside comparison of the selp18200, selp18105G and sel18200
    https://plus.google.com/photos/115845103612451651003/albums/6064577225481458321?authkey=CMf1lObvwbafmgE
    here are some 100% cropped samples

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. BYee

BYee TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Very informative comparison.

Based on the images, there's a significant difference between the Sony and Tamron.

I now know which lens I'll be buying.

Thank you!