1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tamron 18-200 (E-Mount)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Stelex, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Stelex

Stelex TalkEmount Regular

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    I decided to expand my lens collection for my NEX-6 so I purchased the new Tamron 18-200mm tele-zoom lens today, the silver version. (just one more to go, the Sony 10-18mm). In Australia it retails around $750-$850, mostly online and mostly grey imported, but I was lucky today to get it for $660 in store, the last one in stock.

The lens is actually smaller than I thought it would be, feels very firm and it's very, very, very well built. I had Tamron 18-270 (non PZD version) with my EOS 50D and the lens creep was a constant problem. With 18-200 that's not an issue as the zoom ring is very tight and it requires some effort to turn. I'm sure it will loosen with the time, but it has the zoom lock when we get there.

It was the end of the day, so I really didn't have much of a chance and time to take some 'serious' shots, the daylight was fading and it was very cloudy. However, here are a few quick shots I managed to do on my way back to the car park.

_DSC0567_e.

This is Jacinta (I think), she's the girl who sold me the lens. The shot was taken while it was still 'hers'

_DSC0581.

Queen Street Mall (Brisbane)

_DSC0592_e_e.

Southbank, shot taken from Victoria Bridge.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Enjoy the new range.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have to admit there are times that I think about trading the 18-55/55-210 combo for an 18-200. Haven't gotten past thinking about it though. ;)

Enjoy your new lens. :)

4. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    It's a great feeling to be able to zoom from wide to really close. Super zooms are great if the IQ is to your liking.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I hope you got Jacinta's phone number.

6. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    nice, this could be my next lens...still stuck with the kit lens..

7. Lucille

Lucille TalkEmount Veteran

May 22, 2013
    I don't have much for camera stores in my little town.....you folks are lucky..

8. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm going back and forth on whether to get this or not. I have 15+ legacy lenses, most of them primes. But a lot of times, I wish I had a all purpose zoom lens like the 18-200 for convenience when I am not able (or don't have the desire) to take a bag full of lenses.

9. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    Wow those pictures are great. I didn't even know Tamron did an e-mount! So tell me, why did you pick the Tamron over the Sony? It's ~$150 less?

10. Stelex

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    Essentially, yes, because of the price. I walked into the store as they were marking down the display stock so I grabbed the last one really cheap. They sell Sony for $999, I paid Tamron $660, so there ...

11. Stelex

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    It's been about a month since I got this lens so I thought I'd add some more to this topic now that I had the chance to use it for a while.

Well, it's been a love-hate relationship to be honest. I love the build, the size and the weight and all else mechanical - it's great. The sharpness and IQ are not phenomenal but they're good, although sometimes I have a feeling it's a bit too soft for my liking. A short look up of photos I took with my other camera and lens quickly convinces me it's not bad at all.

What I don't like is the auto-focus. Don't like it. Period.

When the light is really bright and there is a very contrasty subject the AF works fine. But once the light is a bit dimmed or the area of focus is not a clear-cut the AF struggles. I have way too many mis-focused shots for my liking. Its the same whether I use the flexible spot or the centre weighted AF (or whatever it's called). This is of course far bigger problem as I zoom in, the wide end is pretty much fine. I don't use the multi-point focusing for obvious reasons.

Let's say I'm focusing on someone's head who is about 30m away. Behind them there is something (e.g. a house) which is another 50m away. The head in the EVF is approximately as small as the focus-point square. I focus on their face and the focus box nicely locks in. I shoot. I look up the image and the house is perfectly focused, face is way off. Damn!

This is not happening always, just sometimes, but more than I would be happy to tolerate. Say 1 in 5 shots is affected by this. On the other hand, the kit lens (16-50) never does this.

What is even more frustrating is that when trying to focus on something the focus does not lock in at all. I have to move and focus on something else with much more contrast and then come back to my original target and focus again. Imay need to do it more than once in some (rare) cases. This drives me nuts.

I learned pretty quickly to review my images through the EVF in the magnified preview. Maybe all this is because I'm coming from 5D mk II and some quality L glass ... dunno.

Having said all of that, with the exception of the AF, the lens is a joy to use. The range is lovely, the zoom is great and it feels like a piece of solid metal ... or glass ... or something. Below are a few sample shots.

There are quite a few more samples in my blog posts from Byron Bay and around Queensland Parliament.

_DSC1576_e.

_DSC1597_e.

_DSC1598_e.

brisbane.

12. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    In the latest DxO review it got a horrible score over the Sony version. That was really unexpected. Sorry to hear about the problems. It's hard to imagine what can be going wrong for the focus to change while you're taking the picture!

13. Stelex

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    I just looked up the DxO scores, Tamron got a score of 10, Sony 11. Not sure how much these scores mean but both appear to be at the low end of the scale. Is the one point between them a big difference?

For example I was looking up the Sony 50mm f/1.8 and it scored 23, I guess that's quite a gap, but 1 point, that can't be that big difference?

14. Cody

Cody New to TalkEmount

Jun 6, 2013
    Hmmm didn't notice that. I guess it's not a big deal then, I don't understand the numbers personally.

Weird because in the text I remembered them being way critical of the Tamron. Maybe I misread it.

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Thanks for the mini review and I'll add that the last photo is excellent ;)

16. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I have three Tamron lenses for Canon; the non-stabilised 17-50/2.8, the stabilised 70-300 and the non-stabilised 70-700. I also had a 18-270, which I returned due to softness.

While they have great image qualities such as contrast, saturation and center sharpness, all of them except for the 70-300 VCD has quality issues, such as decentering or pronounced front focus. It seems that Tamron are capable of producing great lenses but are skimping on quality control to keep unit prices down. I used to be really peeved with my 17-50 because of its crazy front focus issues. But since I have been shooting legacy lenses, I much prefer manual focus. So that issue is now gone.

Maybe you can learn the quirks of the focusing system or use manual focus in situations when the autofocus lets you down? As long as you are happy with the image quality, that's the most important thing. I also think that the above photos have a very good overall look. Especially the first one ;)

17. Stelex

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    ...and so I ended replacing my Tamron 18-200 with the Sony 10-18mm UWA zoom.

I tried everything to fall in love with it but the flare just wasn't there. The camera store owner was a very nice chap and was more than happy to take it back and sell me the SEL1018, which I am, by the way, very happy with. I'll post another thread with some samples.

18. tesna

tesna New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2013
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have a few questions regarding this lens.

1. Does this lens support hybrid AF on the nex 6?
    2. Does the nex 6 has in camera lens correction for this lens?

Or above features only exclusively for sony lens? The tamron is only about $550 brand new whereas the sony about $850 (this an LE version btw, not the original sal18200) $850 is way out of my range, if the tamron does not have above features I might get sel55210 instead.

19. Stelex

May 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Mike
    I don't think it supports the PDAF. If it had I'd probably be far happier than described above.

As for the in-camera correction I really don't know, I shoot 100% RAW so I never even thought about it.