Tamron 17-28mm 2.8 FE being announced on Feb. 20th!

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
That's interesting, and good to see Tamron continuing to build out for Sony emount. I hope they are competitive with the 16-35mm as was hinted in the article (but no firm price as far as I could see).

17-180mm with 3 lenses at 2.8 would be pretty sweet.

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
I agree. It seems they've really planned it well--a perfect compliment for their 28-75, which is a terrific lens. From the pic, it looks like they are continuing with the light-weight molded plastic body approach. I'm all for it. I switched to mirrorless to get rid of heavy equipment. I am clumsy and rather careless, but I still can't see how some people drop, bash, scrape, and scuff their lenses. I guess it's because I'm also a cheap-skate, but if I pay $800 for little chunk of glass, I'm going to take very good care of it.
All of that said, I kind of wish they had gone all the way up to a "normal" 35mm range so I wouldn't have to change lenses so often...

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
All of that said, I kind of wish they had gone all the way up to a "normal" 35mm range so I wouldn't have to change lenses so often...
I'm okay that it stops at 28mm, because from the looks of the lens, it appears to be a fixed barrel. Both 16-35mm FE lenses have extending barrels. Also from the photos it's quite possible it's a 67mm filter just like the 28-75mm.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
I don't think I've ever been so excited for a new lens! I'm definitely getting this
Any idea what it might cost?

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I've only seen speculation that it might be close to the 28-75mm lens, which is $879 US (was $799 until recently). We should know soon.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I don't think I've ever been so excited for a new lens! I'm definitely getting this
Any idea what it might cost?
Tokina just announced the updated Opera 16-28mm 2.8 lens for DSLRs and that's retailing for $699 USD. Maybe add $150-200 USD to the Tamron lens since it's FE specific and made just for mirrorless.

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
Tokina just announced the updated Opera 16-28mm 2.8 lens for DSLRs and that's retailing for $699 USD. Maybe add $150-200 USD to the Tamron lens since it's FE specific and made just for mirrorless.
I hope you are right. That would be good news, and a nice counterweight for some of the excessive prices on a lot of FE glass. However, F2.8 wide angle zooms tend to be expensive. Tamron makes an F2.8 15-30mm for Canon that came out at about $1200. It was huge and heavy, so completely different design, but it wouldn't surprise me if this new lens's price falls between the 28-75 and the Canon wide angle lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom