1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Tamron (01B) 24mm 1:2.5 - NEX-5N

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Dioptrick, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    This is the only lens I've kept from my old film-SLR kit. It was my favourite lens, the ol'24mm was the ideal wide angle for the stuff I like to do. Unlike other reasonably priced 24mm lenses in it's day, this was the only one that I knew of that had barrel distortion well under control - so passable for architectural photography. Fortunately the Sony E 16mm pancake prime is the exact focal equivalent of an old 24 for the NEX, and I'm happy to add, is as good if not better than the Tamron in some respects (considering it's got so little optical glass)! So this old Tamron is no longer my 'all-seeing work horse' as it only translates to a moderate wide angle when mounted on the 5N.

NEX5NTamron24mm01B.

I just love the square angular profile of the NEX body... it just goes so well with legacy lenses. I have to say, the ergonomic/aerodynamic curves of modern plastic body DSLRs look pretty weird when coupled with vintage lenses.

This is my very first go with a manual focus lens on my 5N so I had to try several times before I got rid of my camera shake! Seems like I've lost my touch having relied on image-stabilisation lately, lol. I couldn't be bothered wearing my eyeglasses so I switched-on the focus peaking feature... amazing!!

These first two sample images are to test what it's like wide open at f2.5 in very low light.

tamron24mmtest01.
    Tamron 24mm f2.5, 1/80 sec, ISO800 hand-held

tamron24mmtest02.
    Tamron 24mm f2.5, 1/25 sec, ISO800 hand-held

I'll take macro and landscape samples next...

2. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Macro

It's really weird for me using this lens for a macro shot. I've never done this in all the years that I've owned it. I had to keep reminding myself that it's no longer an expansive wide-angle lens when mounted on a NEX.

tamron24mmtest08.
    Tamron 24mm f2.5, 1/400 sec, ISO100 hand-held

I've never taken macro shots with the Tamron 24mm before, so I had no idea what to expect with regards to it's bokeh - I've never seen it! At only f2.5 I didn't expect it to be smooth like the Super-Takumars. It seems to create abstract patterns that can detract or enhance the subject.

In the pic below, a smooth bokeh would've given the subject a still/peaceful setting, but the Tamron's abstract bokeh added an active dynamic to it.

tamron24mmtest07.
    Tamron 24mm f2.5, 1/320 sec, ISO100 hand-held

This next shot made me laugh... where did all the bubbles come from? lol
    Colour is good, and so is the sharpness. Lower pic is just a close-up crop from the main pic. The lens obviously doesn't have I.S. so I was concerned that the flowers kept wobbling from the sea breeze, but it came out good. The Tamron 24mm has only 5 aperture blades, had I stopped down, those 'bubbles' could've been pentagons! :p

tamron24mmtest03.

tamron24mmtest04.
    Tamron 24mm f2.5, 1/200 sec, ISO100 hand-held

All these shots were taken with the 'focus peaking' feature without wearing my eye glasses. I could hardly read the exposure info on the screen let alone focus the image, so I'm very pleased that the subjects are nice and sharp where I wanted them to be. Really enjoying the 5N!

Landscapes next...

3. hodad66

hodad66 Sony Guru

Feb 8, 2012
    Indialantic, Fl
    John
    looking good! I have to have an EVF or otherwise I'm
    constantly putting on and taking off my reading glasses.....

4. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Lens Flare

All lenses will wash-out a bit (or produce flare) to some degree when shooting into the light source. When direct light hits the front glass element, all sorts of funny things happen inside the lens barrel. Tamron made a big deal of what they called BBAR multi-coating back in the day, which appears as a purplish tint on their glass. Apparently it should do a good job of maintaining vivid colours, but will it work on digital?

Tamron01B24mm.

tamron24mmtest05.
    Tamron 24mm f8, 1/60 sec, ISO100 Original Photo

Sun is only just outside the frame, off to the upper left of the composition... colours and contrast are very good especially when bright light and dark shadows are fighting it out in a shot like this.
    Lens flares did pop-up though, green and purple pentagons lined-up diagonally from the sun over the flowers and rocks.

I could remove those lens flares in Photoshop and end up with a static photo... or...
    I could ADD more lens flares artificially to make the shot more interesting.

tamron24mmtest06.
    Processed - with Lens Flare Filter applied in Photoshop.

Low light landscapes next...

5. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Thanks :) Same here and it drives me nuts! I'm saving up for the EVF too... pity they haven't figured out a way to put a diopter on the touch screen, lol.

I used to have a medium format twin lens reflex held at waist level where I had to look down in order to focus. The 5N with a tilted screen feels exactly like this! It not only gives me a fresh perspective, but it also seems to dis-arm people for some reason. Even the seagulls let me get close.

I'm still sorting out some landscape shots I took yesterday and this morning. Many of these were taken at waist level.

6. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Panorama Blunder

Incredibly, the NEX-5N seems to work in most of it's shooting modes with an adapted MF lens - with exception of Aperture Priority and Intelligent Auto.

Curiosity got the better of me so I set the 5N on Panorama Sweep Mode and gave it a burst. To my surprise this mode also worked!
    However, I forgot that my 'landscape' is in fact a seascape and waves don't stand still, duh. :rolleyes:

Panorama02.
    Tamron 24mm f8, 1/500 sec, ISO Auto

Anything that moves will clearly ruin the seamless stitching in a panoramic sweep - so multi-imaging modes and water don't mix! Lesson learnt. This means HHT (hand held twilight) mode is also a no-no with water.

7. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Low Light Landscapes

The Tamron 24mm works well with scenics. The new focal perspective is very natural and quite predictable. What I see in front of me is very close to the perspective I get from the camera so I very seldom have to re-position myself for the shot. I think a 24mm is an ideal standard lens focal for the NEX. I've noticed that SCN/Sunset Mode adds a warm cast to the shot. SCN/Landscape Mode is neutral but I think it increases the saturation levels instead.

MtMaunganui07.
    Tamron 24mm f8, 1/125 sec, ISO Auto - SCN/Sunset Mode, hand-held

I enjoy catching a sunburst window. Sometimes it only last for a few moments, sometimes it hangs around for quite a while. Problem is, its hard to focus in the dark even with a viewfinder (which I don't have). The Focus Peaking feature also struggled to work in the foreground because it couldn't detect enough contrast in the dark. So I had to rely on an old-school trick of using the DOF vernier. The following shots were all done in f11 with the infinity symbol on the focusing barrel lined-up to the f11 mark on the right side of the aperture scale.

focusingscale.

In this setting, this lens should be focused from about 3 feet all the way to infinity... so I can forget about focusing. It's just point and shoot after this, but I wasn't sure if this 'aperture/depth-of-field' vernier was still valid because the effective focal length of this Tamron had changed when mounted on the 5N, but it appears to be OK based on the pics below.

tamron24mmtest12.
    Tamron 24mm f11, 1/60 sec, ISO Auto - SCN/Landscape Mode, hand-held

On both SCN/Sunset & Landscape Modes, the shutter speed never went below 1/60 sec and the auto ISO self-adjusted between 800-3200 so I just had to accept the grain. HHT is out of the question because of the wave movements. I didn't want to use a tripod either because lower ISO will produce very slow shutter speeds in this environment - which will also blur the waves.

tamron24mmtest11.
    Tamron 24mm f11, 1/60 sec, ISO Auto - SCN/Sunset Mode, hand-held

Once again, I'm super impressed with the 5N sensor. Even at really high ISOs, the pixel grain is a non-issue.

tamron24mmtest10.

tamron24mmtest09.

The Tamron 24mm isn't infallible when used in this role. These shots were taken under the same conditions just moments apart, but for some reason this one had lens flares (two red dots and a comet flare) but the others didn't. They're not aperture flare shapes so I'm not sure what caused it. No biggie, they can be easily cloned-out in PS.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Very cool shots mate, that Tamron glass perfoms very well.

I have a Tamron 85-210 4.5 with Macro function (That's free to a good home btw) albeit a bit stiff in focusing but works fine that has the BBAR multi coating as well. I just never used it as it's too heavy to use with the NEX 5, I did some sample shots when in the past and got good results.

9. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Possible Flare Culprit

Aperture-shaped flares are quite common when shooting INTO the light, but I must admit I was puzzled by the shape of the flares on the last pic. I've never seen these before on this lens in all the years that I've used it.

Early vintage lenses are more prone to flaring because many of them don't have multi-coating on the glass elements - and internal surfaces of the barrel haven't been blackened. Anything that's reflective like bare metal surfaces or chrome screws can cause flares. The Tamron 01B is a fairly modern lens so I didn't expect to see what looks like 'reflectance' gleams.

First thing that came to mind was to check the adaptor.

When choosing an adaptor, I always look for ridges on the inside surfaces of the barrel (green arrow). This is something that poorly designed adaptors don't have. These ridges stops any light that hits this surface from reflecting or bouncing further inwards into the camera. However, this adaptor has a chromed-brass mount at the front and I wanted to check if this shiny surface was totally concealed when the lens is mounted.

Internal-01.

It's obvious that the back portion of this chrome ring is exposed internally (purple arrow). The shiny sensor can act as a mirror and shine light onto this exposed chrome ring which in turn can mirror it straight back to the sensor. This may show up as a flare or a low-contrast blemish on the image. This one is easy fixed by brushing a little flat-black model paint on the back end of the adapter's chrome ring.

Internal-02.

Knowing that the 5N body itself has a chromed-brass mount, I also wanted to check if the adapter is covering that up completely when mounted.

Internal-03.

The next pic below shows that it does, so no problems at this end. However just when I was about to take the adapter off, I noticed something (purple arrow)! See anything shiny in there?

Internal-04.

Ten shiny gold contact pins! Native Sony E lenses cover up these contact pins when mounted. On the otherhand, my adapter (and every other adapter out there too, I'd imagine) leaves these shiny contact points fully exposed and out in the open.

I'm wondering if these red-dot flares (crop pic) are in fact the sun reflecting off two of these pins?

Flare.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    This is really good info for anyone planning to use legacy glass via an adaptor for their NEX camera.

11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Ghee, that is some pretty weird bokeh in those makro shots. I've seen some similar nervous behavior with the 1855 kit lens.
    Thanks again Dioptrick. I might give that lense a try and see how it performs on the street.

PS: good observation regarding potential internal reflections from the glitzy bayonet. However far away it might appear from the sensor, it doesn't exactly help when it comes to contrast. Anyhow, I don't feel too tempted to do any kind of paintjob here.

12. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I just haven't had the time to test out the math with some actual images. I was going to take a set of dominoes, and put them in a diagonal row, each one being an inch further back. I have a double twelve set, so using 3/11 to indicate 3ft-11in, seems like a plan. I would then find a setting on the barrel that lines up nicely with say, 5-7 feet, take the image, and see which dominoes are actually in the DoF.

My math says the scale focus you tried shouldn't have worked - The hyperfocal distance should be further out, and you should have to put the infinity mark to the right of your select f-stop by some as yet unknown amount. But that all depends on what the circle of confusion for the NEX really is, how big you are going to enlarge the photo, etc.

13. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    I forgot all about this (I was going to do a proper test to find out too)!

In the meantime, I've just done a quick test (daytime) - using only my screen display's 'focus peaking' feature as an indicator.

First thing I did was on full open aperture (shallowest DOF) I turned the focusing barrel to the etched numbers to see if that was near enough. Obviously infinity works, so I went backwards from there to 6 feet, 3, 2, 1.5, 1.2, 1, 10" and on each setting the focus peaks appeared pretty much on objects that correspond to each distance.

Second thing I did was to check deeper DOF with the lens set on f5.6 (Inf-5ft), then f11 (Inf-3ft), and f22 (Inf-1.5ft) and on each case the focus peaks appeared within those zones.

Obviously this test isn't a very accurate method but it's a good indication that the vernier on this Tamron is very close to its original calibration. I'll try to do a pixel test later on. The principle that comes to mind is that if the distances on the barrel are accurate, the DOF vernier should be too.

I'd also be interested to hear your finding with your lens.

14. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    The Tamron 24mm also has a very short minimum focusing distance of just 10 inches or 0.25 meter which adds to its all-round versatility... and of course being an "Adaptall" lens you might be able to pick one up that already has an Olympus or Nikon interface (saves having to buy another NEX adapter).

For 99.9% shooting situations, the gold pins and the shiny adapter ring won't cause any flare problems - so you don't really need to do anything. It's only in that one flukey instance (only when shooting straight into the sun at that particular angle) that would create those flares. I recon those two small red-dot flares came from direct sunlight hitting two of those gold pins, and the comet-shaped flare was a bounce reflection coming off that shiny adaptor ring. It's never happened before or since that one particular photo. With today's digital post-processing it's a non issue.

15. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Some pictures at Arastradero Preserve, Palo Alto, California. With this lens adapted on NEX 5N.

_DSC0338.

_DSC0391.

_DSC0407.

_DSC0397.

Attached Files:

16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Damn your eyes, Brian! I used to live in Campbell before being exiled to Oregon, and took many a hike in places like that, and Henry Coe, and the Sunol Wilderness, and, and... So every time you post those beautiful photos, especially of this time of year, when the hills are starting to turn green, it makes me green with envy.

17. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Thanks David, my wife and I love the bay area. We only started hiking three years ago, once started, we just cannot stop. Oregon is very nice too. I've visited Oregon twice (Portland and Crater Lake), and want to go back for more. Washington and Oregon turn green later, but stay green longer. I'm sure I'll bore you all with more hiking pictures ...