1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

TalkNEX App Now in Apple App Store and Google Play Store

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, May 11, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Good news! Just downloaded the iPhone app, looks good and simple, excellent for a quick check on the latest posts.

3. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    "unable to connect" on Android for me, I really don't need it now because the website looks excellent on the phone.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I reuploaded - pleased let me know if this one is working for you.

5. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Great!

Sent from my LT26i using TalkNEX mobile app

6. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    That's how I discovered TalkNEX. I was on my iPad. However, I like the web version better than the app, so I started using my Dolphin browser on the iPad. Then I encountered difficulty in editing my avatar, so I got on my laptop to see if the site looks any different there. It doesn't. I still cannot edit my avatar, for some reason. There is only one option there and it's to not use an avatar, and that's already checked and cannot be changed.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If you go to Settings in the bar at the top right of the page and click Edit Avatar it will show you your current avatar. Below that is the option to choose a custom avatar. If you select a new one it should replace the current one.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    There is no option to use an avatar until you have 100 forum posts

9. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    App works smooth and fast, great job!

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Missed that. :blush:

11. lordkifar

lordkifar TalkEmount Regular

May 8, 2013
    Great job....works well on Android.

12. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Wow this is a one nice app. I've been using it and love it very much.

13. GaryR60

GaryR60 TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2013
    Seattle
    Using it right now, on my iPad 2. I thought it was kind of quirky, at first, but I'm getting used to it.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm glad most of you like it! I use the Android version every day.

Known bugs:

1) Tapping on an embedded Flickr image in the iOS app takes you out of the app and brings your to Flickr. This annoying behavior will be fixed in the next version and in the meanwhile a workaround is that in the settings for the iOS app you can tell it to open links in the app rather than in Safari.

2) Smilies don't display properly

3) "Thanks" are designated as "Likes" in the app

Currently there is no Blackberry or Windows Phone support. I will change that as soon as I can, but I don't know when it will be.

15. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    Thanx a lot for this app!! It works great on my androin! Now I can read forum everywhere, where is wifi... Nice job!

Sent from my LG-P350 using TalkNEX mobile app

16. MikeCaine

MikeCaine TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 28, 2012
    Isle of Man
    I've never really understood the logic in that.

It just encourages some people to make inane comments to get their post count up.

Like this one :)

17. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    :biggrin:

I agree. Besides, I like to see an avatar next to someone's posts, it makes it more recognizable and some people put their portrait up which I think is really nice.

18. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    I wil be so happy to see my nice face in left corner of each my post... :-D joking... but avatars are good. Better than subscription..

Sent from my LG-P350 using TalkNEX mobile app

19. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Not trying to speak for Amin (and we haven't discussed it), but my thought on the subject is that if you've stuck around long enough to get 100 posts (even inane ones :p ) you're probably going to be around for awhile. While avatar pics aren't huge, they do take up server space.

Last time I looked there were 1495 registered users on TalkNEX. Of those, 671 have zero posts, 214 have 1 post. That's 885 out of 1495 with one or less posts. How many of those folks are actually actively visiting here daily? Or weekly? Even monthly?

Forty-five percent (45%) of the registered users have never posted. Post count to putting up an avatar is simply an enticement to post. ;)

20. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That's simple then. Lower the limit to 3 posts to enable avatars. I highly doubt if someone who doesn't post at all, is enticed by being able to use an avatar.