TalkEmount App to be Discontinued

Discussion in 'Site Information' started by Amin Sabet, May 30, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Our dedicated mobile app will be discontinued soon. It has proven too expensive and time consuming to maintain. I will continue to develop the mobile version of the site. For the time being, we will also continue to support the free Tapatalk app.

2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I never looked at any other mobile app for the site, always just accessed it like I do from my laptop.
    I have used the new mobile app you just put up and it seems pretty good just using my normal iPhone interaction through it without even using tapatalk.

3. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I have Tapatalk, so I never even tried the dedicated app. When I first clicked on this thread I feared you were taking TalkEmount off Tapatalk!

4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Oh, this mobile app on the iPhone was so practical. Too bad. But we understand.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    So very sorry to hear. I've found the app, particularly the iPad version, to be very useful in quickly checking in and reading what everyone's been up to.

Just curious, what aspect of the app leads to it being expensive to maintain? Is it the notifications or the image upload handling?

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Noooo. :frown:

I love the app, but you gotta do what is best.

I guess I'll have to look at tapatalk now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Neither. It's the money that the developer charges on a monthly basis for the right to use the app. A secondary issue is the time it takes me to load the app updates, both server side and on the app stores. I think you'll find Tapatalk to work just as well. You can also bookmark the website, and that bookmark shortcut will act like an app.

8. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Ah, I see... contracting a developer can get pricey. I'll give Tapatalk a shot.

9. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    I got a message the app will be closed at the end of the month. Looks like it's back to the online browser as the most recent Tapatalk update is horrendous and all but unusable. I understand the decision but if the powers that be can lobby Tapatalk to rollback their update it would be appreciated. I just looked at their feedback for the latest version and they are down to 1 star. Looks like I'm not the only one who finds it dreadful.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

10. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea, I also am very upset with the latest Tapatalk. I left a 1 star review.
    Rather hilariously they released an update to the update, and it made it worse!

As you say, they really need to roll back to as it was in Nov '14. It worked and was slick and clean then, now it's unusable. I'm sure they realise they have made a big mistake (I have had direct contact with one of their dev's who clearly knew they made a boo boo), but I'm not sure why they haven't just rolled it back...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I find the current version of Tapatalk to be a mess as well, and they are getting me in trouble with Google because some of their links go to the wrong content, making it look like we're trying to deceive people.

I've long used Tapatalk, but I find the mobile version of this site to be much better than the current version of Tapatalk. Seems they tried to make it very novel and modern instead of refining the basic experience.

For anyone on a phone or small tablet who wants to try our mobile version (and isn't automatically routed to it), just scroll to the bottom of the page and tap on the large link for "Mobile Site". To switch back, tap the link for "Full Site".

• Like Like x 2
  12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    That's why I make Titanium Backups of my apps. Still rocking the good version of Tapatalk

13. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I prefer using the full site on all of my devices. Mobile sites or Tapatalk just seem to make it more difficult to see what I want to see the way I want to see it, and leave off many things I want to see, like user profiles. It annoys me every time I view this site on my iPhone because it defaults to the mobile site, and I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to change it back to the full site, only to have it go back to the mobile site the next time to surf over here. PL doesn't seem to do that to me. Is there any way to tell this site that I never want to use the mobile version?

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Wow, I don't know why it would send you back to the mobile site after you switch. Mine doesn't do that. I will try to come up with a solution for that, David.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I put a new link for "Full Site" in the top of the mobile site, so now it's just one hoop. Still, I will see if I can find a way to make your choice sticky.

• Like Like x 1
  16. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for the new link, Amin. My iPhone still defaults back to the mobile site after I leave, but at least this way the full site is just one click away.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  18. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Well at least they are listening, I just downloaded this update and it is much better.
    Biggest thing missing still is the ability to default each forum to one of the Unread/Subscribed/Trending views, you always landing on Trending, which I have no interest in!

6dc297bae1533b52ff43690297e82e4e.

• Like Like x 2