1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Taking the plunge

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Corduroytrees, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Corduroytrees

Corduroytrees New to TalkEmount

Apr 12, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    I know next to nothing about photography at this point, but I've had fun experimenting with my new 5R. I've read a lot of great tips and advice on your forums and thought I'd say hello and thanks :)

I've just ordered my first legacy lenses, a Minolta MC Rokkor-X 50 mm F/1.4 PG and an adapter as well as a Minolta Maxxum AF70210F/4.5-5.6 and an adapter as well. Here's to not screwing things up. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Again thanks to the mods and members for a great forum.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum. :)

IMO the best course of action for using your new legacy lenses is to put the camera in A mode, pick an aperture on the lens and let the camera figure out the exposure. Then you just worry about composition and focus.

And remember the real beauty of digital photography- you can delete your mistakes before they ever see the light of day. "No pic, didn't happen!" :thumbup:

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Welcome, we hope you enjoy the group, feel free to ask anything you need to know about your camera and the new addition of MF, most have a Rokkor so enjoy, I guess everybody would like to help.
    So I use manual mode, use the yellow peaking, try to keep the histogram on screen, though this sometimes does not help much depends on the type of shot you need to do and the scene.

Like Bimjo said, try en mode A.

4. Corduroytrees

Corduroytrees New to TalkEmount

Apr 12, 2013
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Thanks for the kinds words and the tips. Having fun with the Rokkor now, using A mode and playing with the B&W Fn mode. I might post a photo or two when I convince myself that they are good enough for public viewing.

So, now that I have the MC Rokkor 1.4 and a beercan on the way - what's next in terms of fun? A macro of some kind maybe? I also have the 18-55 Kit lense and the 16MM + wide angle adapter. I hope to take a couple weeks off soon and just immerse myself since I have been sans vacation for a couple of years and sans hobbies since our son was born (nearly 4 years).