1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Taking gear on daily trips

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by runnerpsu, Mar 6, 2016.

1. runnerpsu

runnerpsu TalkEmount Regular

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    I want to start taking my A7 ii with me wherever I go. In the past, I kept my gear in a small bag which I feel prevented me from taking my equipment with me. I'd like to know how others carry their camera (equipment) when leaving home for simple errands, trips to the grocery store, doctors, etc.

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

If I take the NEX on a walk I keep it in my hand most of the time, no strap. The Fuji is a bit heavier and usually hangs on a sniper strap. Lenses etc... live in a neoprene pouch between the veggies in my daypack. Bought my last camera bag more than 30 years ago and never used it, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    For a while I took my camera set with me to work, but I hardly ever do that for simple errands etc. These days I tend to pick my moments and go out on dedicated photo trips, be it for 30 minutes or a whole day, and I carry the A7 with the 3 native FE f/4 zooms in a sling bag. When I want to travel light with a camera I take the A7 with one lens in a small shoulder bag (Lowepro Nova 190, considered not so small by others I guess). Just these days I've been looking for a small take-everywhere camera like the Sony RX100 or DxO ONE, but the sample images disappointed me, I'm sure I'll get frustrated with the results and I have abandoned the idea yet again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Most of the time I carry my A7Rii with one lens attached in a medium holster, the National Geographic NG A2210. Has served me well the last 4 years. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I carry my A7 and 3 lens setup all day with me, currently with the kit 28-70, MD 50 1.4 and MD 24-35. All these plus a ton of other accessories inside a Think Tank Retrospective 7 which is discreet yet stylish :)

I've always prefered shoulder messenger bags than backpacks for daily use, but my combo (heavy-ish) and messenger bags in general are not ideal/comfortable for walking long distances...

• Like Like x 1
  6. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    I use a F-stop Guru backpack with a medium slope ICU soon to be replace by a small ICU.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I use a reusable canvas-like grocery bag to carry my camera. I then wrap my camera in a big piece of cloth for protection. I also use my bag to throw in the groceries and other stuff when need be! I prefer not looking like a photographer when out on the street!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Thanks for sharing your habits! It seems to me that no matter how one carries his/her gear it is a discipline. Now, I need to disclipnine myself :)

9. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I don't take my camera to the grocery store, or the doctors:) As for the "etc" places, I carry it in a small shoulder bag or something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't carry my camera everywhere. However, if I feel there may be photo opportunities at my destination, I will bring an appropriate kit along. This can vary from a shoulder bag to a full backpack and tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I used to go everywhere with a 35mm SLR around my neck. So you'd think an A7 wouldn't be that big of a deal. (Except I'm now all old and world-weary...)
    I find for what I call "casual" use, an APS-C body is smaller and lighter enough that I am more likely to throw it in my backpack that I often use when walking. My old NEX-7 with the Sigma 30mm lens fits in a very compact leather case and still delivers killer IQ should inspiration strike.
    I also invested in the Canon EOS-M with a 22/2 pancake prime. That is so small, it fits in a Lowe Dashpoint 20 which effectively serves as a belt holster. That goes to all sorts of places and still more than satisfies my IQ needs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My, going for a short hike kit, a converted running water bottle holster.

20160307_115206.

20160307_115027.

• Like Like x 2
  13. runnerpsu

Feb 12, 2016
    South Florida
    Very cool!

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I like it this way. You are limited to one lens, and maybe a few small accessories, but I generally don't carry a lot of gear around anyway.