Survey of my imagery

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
My favorite travel kit has been a pair of Canon APSC DSLR cameras wearing the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens along with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.
I did a survey of 154 images that I kept from 2-days shooting in Istanbul to see what f/stops and focal lengths were used on those images. I did this in order to get an idea of the most simple Sony APSC kit that would allow me the freedom to shoot like I did with my Canon outfit but, at a lighter weight!
Istanbul - rpcrowe
It appears that 140 images or about 91% of the images were shot between the focal lengths of 18mm and 105mm. This would equate to the Sony 18-105mm lens.
But, wait a second, don't I need at least an f/2.8 aperture. Well, to my great surprise, only 19 images were shot at an aperture wider than f/4 and of those images, each could have been captured at f/4 just by raising the ISO just a bit.
So it seems to me that a Sony APSC camera with the 18-105mm f/4 lens could have captured 91% of the images that I kept from my trip to Istanbul and that package weighs less than two pounds...

firemist

TalkEmount Veteran
Yep, your situation is pretty common. I think most of the images in Nat Geo magazine in the film era (remember that?) were shot with either a 35 or an 85 before zooms made inroads.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom