• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Superzoom for FE?

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Newbie here, hoping you guys could help me out. I Just ordered the A7iii and trying to research lenses. I'm currently shooting with MFT, mostly olympus bodies and trying to work out what lenses I want to replace to use on the A7iii. The primes are pretty easy, but the zoom are a bit trickier. For me, zoom is for run and gun type stuff so zoom range is first priority, followed by IQ, and then speed. On my EM1mkii, one of my most used lenses is actually the 12-100mm (24-200eq) f4 pro lens. While not fast, the quality is great for a zoom and I find the range very useful when I can only take one lens.

In trying to find a replacement for this on FE mount, and I've only come up with the 24-240mm sony which I'm seeing not so good reviews for. I do hear rumblings of a tamron 17-180 or something in the works. Anything else you guys recommend I look into?

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Thanks. It does look pretty decent from those examples. Don’t know why people hating on it so much if those are representative. Looks like it might work for me. How’s the autofocus?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I wish I knew, thought about buying it more than once but I don't own it myself. Voigtlander took almost all of my camera money for a while. :boohoo:

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
The 24-240 is my go to lens- as represented on a high percentage of my posted pix. For the combo of price and reach, I can’t say enough positive things about the lens. I use it on an a6000 and have no legit complaints about it.

0AE08548-F994-4025-8D6A-5D2EDE918FEE.jpeg
8734F621-E841-4EB1-8D72-979D041A3D6D.jpeg
54DAF864-A291-4A1E-9849-D00564D55883.jpeg
B4797048-6150-4BD8-A5B2-15833E877B52.jpeg

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
If I don't know what I'm going to be shooting, or for whatever reason, I only want to take one lens, I don't hesitate to grab the FE 24-240. I have sharper lenses, but it's sharp enough, and the broad zoom range is very convenient. I've taken some of my favorite photos with it. These are a few samples of what you can do with it:

_DSC5271.jpg
_DSC5983-Edit.jpg
20170721-335-Edit.jpg

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
The 24-240 is my go to lens- as represented on a high percentage of my posted pix. For the combo of price and reach, I can’t say enough positive things about the lens. I use it on an a6000 and have no legit complaints about it.

View attachment 106437View attachment 106438View attachment 106441View attachment 106442
If I don't know what I'm going to be shooting, or for whatever reason, I only want to take one lens, I don't hesitate to grab the FE 24-240. I have sharper lenses, but it's sharp enough, and the broad zoom range is very convenient. I've taken some of my favorite photos with it. These are a few samples of what you can do with it:

View attachment 106443View attachment 106444View attachment 106445
So many nice photos, what do the reviewers expect I wonder?! For me a super zoom is such a key tool for casual photography. Would you rather zoom in with a less than perfect lens or crop in and lose resolution? I expect some compromises for that flexibility.

Thanks guys. I’m sure I’ll have many more questions when my camera arrives tomorrow.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
So many nice photos, what do the reviewers expect I wonder?!

I sometimes think they feel the need to trash inexpensive lenses so they can heap more praise on the expensive ones without being called a sellout. I wouldn't use it for paid studio photo shoots, or National Geographic style wildlife, but for everyday and travel it's amazing.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I think part of it is that the bar has been raised when comparing modern lenses. Nearly any one of them is usually pretty darn good, especially for everyday use, but that doesn't translate to a lot of people reading/watching/listening to reviews.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Looks like the new Tamron 28-200 is rather miraculous--and even cheaper than the M4/3 12-100!

I'm a big fan of the Tamron 28-200mm FE lens. It's incredibly good!

I got rid of all my Sony lenses and shoot only third party lenses now. Not sure if Sony profits on this sales model, but it's been cheaper on my pocket!

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
I bought one today, as well.
I got the Sony 12-24 F4, but I don't anticipate getting any other Sony lenses. I actually left Sony (and Canon), mostly at frustration over the inflated lens prices. But these third party lenses from Tamron and Samayang have brought me back.

Reactions: WNG

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Tamron, Sigma and Rokinon have filled a void left by overpriced Sony lenses. Originally when switching from Canon to Sony, my big problem was that Sony did not have a reasonably priced mid-range zoom lens... The 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron filled this void quite well. In fact, the Tamron trifecta of 17-28mm, 28-75mm and 70-180mm constant f/2.8 zooms could be a perfect match for Sony mirrorless cameras.

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
That trio was my original plan, but when I watched Dustin Abbott's video comparing the 28-200 to the 28-75 and 70-180, I changed my mind. It's not as good as either, obviously, except maybe at 28mm, but is pretty remarkable, and the (relatively) tiny form factor and cheap price made it irresistible...

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
We are fortunate in that unlike Canikon, Sony has an "open" mount that they will freely license to anyone. So there is no guessing or reverse-engineering communication protocols. This is a big part of why between Sony and third-party vendors, we now have a plethora of lenses. There are really only a few specialized areas lacking any lenses (tilt/shift comes to mind), and they may eventually fill those in, too. In the meantime, there are usually ways of adapting other mounts' specialty lenses.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
I have the Sony 12-24 f/4... the 28 f/2.0, the 35 f/2.8, the 55 f/1.8 and the 85 f/1.8. All of my other lenses for my A7III are third party glass. Tamron for the zooms and Samyang for the primes. Any new purchases are likely to follow that pattern.

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
As one can see in my sig file, I'm currently Sony all the way..... I just prefer to stick with native lenses.

When it comes to brands like Nikon and Canon, I actually prefer first party due to the better optimized glass (not designing for multiple mounts) and lack of AF issues. Sony on the other hand due to their open mount protocols, third party lenses have very little to no AF issues and from the looks of it, Tamron designs (currently) are using the E-mount as a base, so you're essentially getting E-mount optimized lenses.

I'm not sure if Samyang had any approval to make E-mount lenses since you still need a USB dock to upgrade their lenses (Tamron and Sigma can update via the camera). Though I found Samyang lenses can be optimized far better over Sony's own first party lenses since there is no way to do AF fine tune adjustments in-camera. Certain Sony lenses for example have had sample variations like the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 and even cheaper lenses like the 28mm f/2.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom