Superzoom for FE?

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Newbie here, hoping you guys could help me out. I Just ordered the A7iii and trying to research lenses. I'm currently shooting with MFT, mostly olympus bodies and trying to work out what lenses I want to replace to use on the A7iii. The primes are pretty easy, but the zoom are a bit trickier. For me, zoom is for run and gun type stuff so zoom range is first priority, followed by IQ, and then speed. On my EM1mkii, one of my most used lenses is actually the 12-100mm (24-200eq) f4 pro lens. While not fast, the quality is great for a zoom and I find the range very useful when I can only take one lens.

In trying to find a replacement for this on FE mount, and I've only come up with the 24-240mm sony which I'm seeing not so good reviews for. I do hear rumblings of a tamron 17-180 or something in the works. Anything else you guys recommend I look into?

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
Thanks. It does look pretty decent from those examples. Don’t know why people hating on it so much if those are representative. Looks like it might work for me. How’s the autofocus?

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I wish I knew, thought about buying it more than once but I don't own it myself. Voigtlander took almost all of my camera money for a while. :boohoo:

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
The 24-240 is my go to lens- as represented on a high percentage of my posted pix. For the combo of price and reach, I can’t say enough positive things about the lens. I use it on an a6000 and have no legit complaints about it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
If I don't know what I'm going to be shooting, or for whatever reason, I only want to take one lens, I don't hesitate to grab the FE 24-240. I have sharper lenses, but it's sharp enough, and the broad zoom range is very convenient. I've taken some of my favorite photos with it. These are a few samples of what you can do with it:

_DSC5271.jpg
_DSC5983-Edit.jpg
20170721-335-Edit.jpg

crazy150

TalkEmount Rookie
The 24-240 is my go to lens- as represented on a high percentage of my posted pix. For the combo of price and reach, I can’t say enough positive things about the lens. I use it on an a6000 and have no legit complaints about it.

View attachment 106437View attachment 106438View attachment 106441View attachment 106442
If I don't know what I'm going to be shooting, or for whatever reason, I only want to take one lens, I don't hesitate to grab the FE 24-240. I have sharper lenses, but it's sharp enough, and the broad zoom range is very convenient. I've taken some of my favorite photos with it. These are a few samples of what you can do with it:

View attachment 106443View attachment 106444View attachment 106445
So many nice photos, what do the reviewers expect I wonder?! For me a super zoom is such a key tool for casual photography. Would you rather zoom in with a less than perfect lens or crop in and lose resolution? I expect some compromises for that flexibility.

Thanks guys. I’m sure I’ll have many more questions when my camera arrives tomorrow.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
So many nice photos, what do the reviewers expect I wonder?!
I sometimes think they feel the need to trash inexpensive lenses so they can heap more praise on the expensive ones without being called a sellout. I wouldn't use it for paid studio photo shoots, or National Geographic style wildlife, but for everyday and travel it's amazing.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
I think part of it is that the bar has been raised when comparing modern lenses. Nearly any one of them is usually pretty darn good, especially for everyday use, but that doesn't translate to a lot of people reading/watching/listening to reviews.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom