Super Moon August 2014

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Zanner, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I know I'm a day early. But the sky is totally clear and I grabbed the opportunity to try out my new telephoto lens on the "super moon". (Rokinon 500mm)

14863563222_e6b35beb9b_z. Moon8.08.14-7002 by Stevsh, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 11
  2. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I can't tell much on my iPhone but it looks great...will check agsin with the PC in the morning...my plan is to try it Sunday night but a lot of stormy weather is forecast...well see

3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Looks great! Almost... Telescopic.

How do you like the Rokinon 500mm? Is that the E-mount mirror lens they have?

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good work...looks great...and you were wise to get out a little early with a clear sky.
    Can't imagine I'll be able to even see the sun or the moon the next few days...

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Here's a few shots I got last night using my NEX-7 + SEL 18-200 ( and a tripod ).

DSC00683-XL.

DSC00681-XL.

DSC00697-XL.

It seemed to me that the moon appeared bigger in July than last night, but that's not what the scientists say.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Beautiful! Mine is not the mirror lens. It's the obnoxiously long telephoto lens with the T mount along with the teleconverter.
    Haven't taken a whole lot with it, as I was saving it for some moon shots. But there's no holding it and trying to take shots and I lost the little piece on my tripod so I have to wait until I find it. For the moon shots I borrowed my neighbors tripod across the street. She's a portrait photographer and has fun things to borrow sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good work there...

• Like Like x 1
  8. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Tareq
    Here is the shot of the moon today night in our region, but i never see it bigger, so maybe it is not a super moon night yet? Tomorrow i will watch it and see if it looks bigger than today night.

DSC0303.

DSC0307.

DSC0289.

• Like Like x 8
  9. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Here's mine from tonight - around 10:30pm. Soligor 300mm (Minolta SR Mount) with a Minolta 2x Teleconverter. I guess that makes it about a 900mm equiv. focal length on the NEX-6! F16 for this shot:
    14696441459_a55d45d38d_z.
    Supermoon - August 10, 2014 by jamesderose, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thank you all for posting the images! I know we don't actually have a "super" moon here in Europe, but I still felt inspired by the beautiful full moon to head out and shoot some landscapes tonight. I think I got a few nice ones, but I need to finish editing them first.

11. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    My shots turned out to be rather uninspiring. I was using the NEX-6 + Kiron MC7 2X converter + Vivitar/Kiron 75-205/3.8. I don't know if it was the lens or the tripod, but when the clouds did seem to break, all of my Moon shots were rather soft. There were a lot of clouds last night, so it is possible there was a thin haze layer between me and the Moon. This one was more interesting to me than the shots of the Moon itself.

Tony

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just as FYI...looking at a "moon site":
    July 12th Super Moon was 233,000 miles away.
    August 10th Super Moon was 222,000 miles away.

I recall all the hype in July that the moon would never be closer for the rest of the year...yet here in August it apparently is.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Same thing here in North Carolina...I finally got a clear 'NASA Type' shot late at night, but to be honest, much prefer something like yours with other elements included.

I also had trouble focusing with the heavy atmosphere / cloud haze last night compared to the clear sky back on July 12th's full moon...never could get any 'focus peaking' to show at F11. Experimented opening up to F8 and got a little peaking doing that, then carefully returned to F11 and took the shot.

• Like Like x 2
  14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I agree, it adds some texture.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    I like this a lot! Definitely a different shot!

As for the shots being soft, mine was as well. I couldn't get it tack sharp, but a lot of that could have been me. I'm convinced that my adapter (or maybe just the lens) focuses a tiny bit beyond infinity, and adjusting focus on something so far away is a bear. BREATHING on the camera causes the image to shake, so it's almost impossible to focus. I ended up just going to "infinity," grabbing a shot - focusing down a tad, taking a shot - focusing down a tad, taking a shot. I did that until the focus peaking stopped showing up. This way I would have plenty to work from. I took 140+ images, so I have a lot to weed through. My one shot earlier in the thread was one of three I quickly "developed" in Lightroom last night. I'm sure i'll be fiddling more!

-James

• Like Like x 1
  16. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Don't forget that the perceived size of a so called "super moon" is also highly dependent on the place you are on earth.

• Like Like x 2
  17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Actually I wasn't speaking of perceptions...I quoted established 'Moon data sites' showing the distances from earth each of the months in question:

July 12th Super Moon was 233,000 miles away.
    August 10th Super Moon was 222,000 miles away.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Another chance on September 9th...last one for this year!

19. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    There are some very nice captures here. Especially with those big legacy zooms. I actually have a few captures of earlier Super moons using my other camera, but I still wanted to get in on the action without duplicating earlier pics. I decided to focus on the exceptional glow of the Super moon instead of its size. This is a 2 exposure capture. One short burst to freeze the far off bird and texture on the sand, the other 64 second exposure to kill the waves and create a glass like surface on the water and a sun-like glow of the Super Moon. So does this still qualify as a Super Moon shot? Maybe not.

14701406718_11ce333da8_c. Super Moon! by iShootPics (westOkid), on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  20. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I can't imagine why 'moonscapes' wouldn't qualify...IMO, they're more interesting than the NASA type moon shots we usually include in an empty sky.
    Hats off to your creativity / skill in creating that image.
    The only thing I can think to offer is that without your explanation, I'm not sure I'd know if it was the moon, or the sun.

• Like Like x 1