Super Macro Brothers - reversed and adapted macro test shots

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by markoneswift, Jul 23, 2013.

1. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Hello all, here are some test shots as a 'proof of concept' for reversing a 28mm lens onto a 2 x teleconverter, mounted on my NEX C3. The idea of reversing lenses is not new to me, but I had never thought of reversing onto a teleconverter. Here are some results, all taken indoors handheld and lit by flash through a DIY flash snoot :-

One Point Eight by markoneswift, on Flickr

Copper Tone by markoneswift, on Flickr

Twenty Cent by markoneswift, on Flickr

A good year by markoneswift, on Flickr

A nose for macro by markoneswift, on Flickr

These are not very well executed, mainly due to being taken hand-held with the reversed lens wide open and held against the teleconverter hence a very shallow DoF and some CA. I'm happy with them as a concept though so I need to refine my shooting technique and get the lens mounted correctly on the TC with a reversing adapter.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I tried a 24 reversed on a 2x macro converter once. It was awe inspiring. Maybe I'll dig up the adapters and give it another go.

**edit to add**
    Ok, amazingly all the pieces parts required were all in the same box. These are not focussed properly, but I'll post them up for size comparison giggles. ;) All shots @ f/8 with a Vivitar 24/2.8 in C/Y mount with a Soligor 2x macro converter.

normal
    viv24.

normal 2x
    viv24x2.

normal reversed
    viv24rev.

reversed x2
    viv24x2rev.

reversed x2 macro setting
    viv24x2revmacro.

I should have dug out the macro focus rail while I was at it. I think I know where that is. ;)

3. markoneswift

markoneswift TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 17, 2012
    Cool examples there Bimjo - how were you able to set 2x macro ? Is your TC one of those macro-focusing ones ? Mine is just a fixed "auto 2x teleconverter" in Canon FD mount with no macro helicoid, although I am tempted to pick up a Vivitar ( or similar ) macro focusing one. My bellows ( M42 thread mount ) currently has a Helios 44/2 mounted on it and I'm experimenting with a reversed enlarger lens too - I wonder what results the enlarger lens would give, reversed onto the TC ?? Hmmm.....my ultimate goal is to find a very short, high magnification solution for the NEX without the need for complex lens stacking.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yes, mine has a helicoid in it. Now that i've rounded up all the bits I'll have to play with different focal lengths. An enlarger lens could be interesting. Certainly should be simpler than a camera lens. I'm pretty sure you'll get the highest magnification with the bellows, but the standoff distance might get really short. Should be ok on a macro 2x converter though.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great examples there.