1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sunset timelapse - front porch

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by jade_monkey07, May 10, 2014.

1. jade_monkey07

jade_monkey07 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 24, 2013
    My parents retire this week. I took this as a little teaser of their view from the new home.

http://youtu.be/lk5v8Tlwp0c

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

• Like Like x 5
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Love how the silhouette of the trees gradually gets more prominent.

Can I ask about your setup? Tripod used, weighted? It's very smooth. What gap between frames (I'm guessing 1 or 2 seconds)? And then sped up to (24 FPS?)?

I downloaded the time-lapse app for my A6000 but am yet to use it so looking for a few tips, and you seem pretty good at it ;)

Thanks!

3. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Thanks! This is the 4th or 5th from home. Iv got one sunrise one somewhere ill see if I can find them all. Honestly its super simple. You are correct on the timing. This time I Chose the sunset as the base setting, then adjusted it to full 990 frames at 2 second intervals. Takes about 45 min to shoot. Its a tripod set so the lense was almost against the window, not weighted its a cheapo xs cargo tripod. The one pointer I would say is if youve got a scene like this one where the sun is behind clouds at first, it only exposes once so you can get blown out light very quickly. Or vise versa if you expose with direct light it will turn black super fast. Got to find the middleground.
    A few gripes about the app
    -Limiting it to 45 minutes/990 frames
    -No option to run on a power chord. This shot took my 1500mAh battery from 65% to 3% and would have destroyed the original sony 1080mAh battery

I dont always drive where others cant. but when I do, its in my Jeep. Stay muddy my friends

• Like Like x 2
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Cool thanks! I don't have the luxury of such a view from my door so will have to find a nice spot round here and give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Its fun even if your just shooting the changing clouds. Its amazing how much they move and change in 45 minutes

6. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    If you have a viewfinder on your camera setting the live view to finder instead of lcd 'may' reduce battery drain for time-lapse. I know it does on my full body a57. And i agree about the exposure not changing during time-lapse very frustrating. A simple firmware update would fix it too.

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I've thought about doing those sorts of time lapse videos, but the number of shutter activations required just scares me off. I gather these shutters are supposed to have a theoretical MTBF of something in the hundreds of thousands, but still... It would be nice if they offered an electronic shutter for time lapse videos. In the mean time, I just use my iPhone. :p

8. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    http://youtu.be/NJTI_InXhzg

Heres a few more

• Like Like x 1
  9. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
  10. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Thats worth a shot. I plan on picking up the ev1s as soon as I can get someone to order me one from amazon.com and pass it up here to canuckistan.

I agree 100% it should be digital, just a super slow framed video capture. The camera had shutter issues on startup, pretty much from the time I got the 5r It would give an error and the shutter would stick. Turn off and on quickly and it would shoot normally. They warranty replaced the shutter mechanism and some other part (cant remember what) its been fine since, I dont do many anymore for that reason.

11. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Wow I just tossed these up on the 65 inch smart tv...looks amazing

12. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    Weird I've never heard anyone else mention it but now that you do I can def say I've heard my shutter do that on startup / shutdown occasionally and has happened since I took it out of the box. It's my first camera so I just assumed that was normal. :/

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

13. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Did you get a "shutter release error"?
    Mine would give the error, lockup and tell me to restart. Other then that the click when you turn it on and off is normal

14. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    The battery life chart in the a6000 manual actually claims slightly longer battery life with the screen rather than EVF when shooting stills! (I thought that a bit odd when I first read it). Says the battery life is the same for video.

There are so many variables it's a big case of "your mileage may vary".

15. G.Webb

G.Webb TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 22, 2013
    Phoenix, Az.
    Hey Jade,
    You can use the AC adapter to plug your camera into a wall outlet. Part Number AC-PW20
    There are aftermarket company's that make them as well.

16. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Ill check it out. Its not a huge deal since you can only do a short video. Buy its worth a look

17. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    It's possible that what you're hearing on shutdown is the sensor cleaning action that these cameras do every so often. It's perfectly normal.

18. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I've tried this a few times now. The first time, I forgot to set it for "stills" and instead had it at 20p(?) video. The resulting video was okay. I could find it on the memory card and transfer it as I liked. Took a few others, all set to stills at 3 second intervals for 900 shots. Last night's was good enough to share. I can't locate a video on the memory card, and the app instructions verify that, as well as stating that PlayMemoriesOnline can't share the time-lapse videos.
    How do I get the video out of the camera? I spent a long time bringing the images into iMovie, set the interval to 1.5 seconds with a .5 second transition. Still creates a huge, long movie, nothing like the quick, dramatic one in camera.

19. jade_monkey07

Dec 24, 2013
    Look for the folder called tlps. Its a few folders deep. I had a hard time finding it at first

20. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Error trying to open the video file

This is what I have on the card. Also showing that when I click the video file (which is really small - must just reference the images...), QuickTime never loads it, also has a background error. Are you using a PC or Mac?
    Error.