Sunset, local beach

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jethro10, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    After my escapade with the damaged screen (, I went out last night to our local beach and took this.

Maryport Beach looking south by Jethro-10, on Flickr

Can I ask some questions also?
    It was close to sunset, the sun was above the horizon by about 1/2 it's diameter, and looking out to sea, the sun was at about 1 O'clock, ie. slightly to my right. Looking up the beach to the right, the sun was slightly in front of me as such, as the scenery looked flat. Looking to my left, with the sun slightly behind me now, the scenery look more alive, more "3D". Is this likely to be the sun's slighly different position? Whatever it was, all the shots to the "good" side were better than the shots to the other side of the beach.
    This picture as with the sun slightly behind me, maybe 4 O'clock as a clock face would show. The pic is totally unprocessed, right out of the camera. Whether you like it or not, or if it has issues, it still has that wow factor, and almost a "3D" look to it, and shows off what can be achieved as such.
    It's @ 50mm, F6.3, ISO 200, 1/15 sec, and hand held with the stabilisation seemingly working ok!

When I damaged the screen last Saturday, the pics were flat and horrible, and I took it as to be not able to use the screen well enough.
    But now I'm more inclined to think it's the conditions. It was close to noon, it was a terribly hazy day, with the mountains looking fuzzy blue. Where the one here, on the beach, was take at the right time for light. Makes sense?

Whatever it is, It's taught me quite a bit I feel, so progress and quite happy.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I can only comment that this is a great shot ;)
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Nice shot. :)

Anytime you shoot with the sun in front of the camera (regardless of its position) there is the potential for a loss of contrast. Anytime you shoot with the sun behind the camera the pic will look more contrasty and the colors will look more saturated.

This is one reason hoods are recommended. A polarizer can be beneficial as well.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

Well said.
  5. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    It seems very much so, the sun position thing. So many variable to learn. I've quickly learned overhead sun is a no-no and generally produces flat dull pictures.

I did have a polarizing filter, I took more than this shot, but can't remember if I had it on for this shot or not. Turning the filter round doesn't half show how the sky can be quite different.