Sunrise/sunset

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by TonyTurley, Aug 16, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    There is a knoll overlooking the interstate on the way to work, and I've been wanting to capture the sunrise there for some time. Finally got a morning where I got up extra early and the sky conditions cooperated. I intend to add sunset photos from tonight to this thread. There was a drop dead gorgeous sunset last night, which I didn't notice until I saw pics on the news. I hope I get a second chance this evening.

Tony

I forgot to add these were taken with the MD Rokkor 50/1.7.

DSC05239_zps4de541d8.

DSC05251_zpsab80bb93.

2. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The second photo is going to be featured on a local news segment at noon today. :)

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Nice!

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Awesome! Both the pics and the news exposure. :)

5. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Congrats... and Great shots! :thumbup:

6. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks everyone. Photographically speaking, the past couple of days have been great, and I hope to be able to continue it at sunset tonight and on tomorrow's hike.

Tony

7. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Congratulations on both the images and the public reaction.

BTW, I am expecting some awesome fall color images from you in a couple of months. Whenever possible, I attempt to schedule my visits to Charleston for the time of peak color in the fall, just because the area is so stunning. Of course, since my trips home are usually planned at least a month in advance, I often miss the peak.

- Tom -

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Tom. Last year our peak arrived very quickly, with the vast majority of the leaves changing almost overnight in the third week of October. By our recent extremely mild weather (and some trees already showing hints of color), we may be early this year.

Speaking of color, I did go out this evening to visit a local wetlands area to try to get some different sunset pics. It is part of a nature preserve set aside by the largest utility in the area as part of a mitigation agreement. The sunset was nice, but it wasn't as dazzling as others I've seen. The light level in the trees was falling rapidly, so I had to do a fair amount of shadow recovery using RawTherapee. The first photo shows the predominant plant species in the wetlands, Buttonbush (Cephalanthis occidentalis). You can see how thickly it grows in the second and third photos. There is over 50 acres of just Buttonbush. The place is pretty amazing.

Tony

68_zpsb90868df.

79_zps8cfc7fc9.

89_zpsd98c41d5.

95_zpse9c574dd.