Suggestions for shooting a play?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by NkedFatWhiteGuy, May 3, 2014.

1. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I need a little bit of help and some suggestions. I have a NEX 6 that I don't have much luck with and so I am wondering what everyone thinks.

I will be at my nephew's play tonight (high school drama club) and am thinking about which lenses I would be able to use to help me out a bit. The biggest question I guess is which lens will focus best in lowish light: SEL50F18 or a SAL50F18 with a LA-EA2? I am suspecting that I will have quicker and more accurate focusing with SAL lenses, but with no OSS, I will probably have to bump up ISO to compensate.

I guess my other option would be adapted higher speed lenses.

What do folks think? I keep falling back into my old practice of aperture priority to make sure the DoF is where I need it to be, but I might just open up and shoot with as high of shutter speed as possible to keep ISO below 3200...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just saw this, how'd it go.

Not having the LA-EA2, I really don't have a lot to compare with.

I do have the SEL, and really like it. I would be more concerned with the range. Depending on your location, 50mm may not be an ideal range.

3. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Well, I actually ended up just grabbing my Fuji X20 because I couldn't decide in time.

I shot pretty much everything in the 85mm - 112mm range (equivalent) with 1600 ISO at f2.8 and 1/80. I probably could have brought either one of the 50's and cropped where appropriate but would have done best with my MD 58mm f1.4 I think. I thought about bringing my 16-80 and the LA-EA2, but I would have bumped the ISO way too high to be acceptable, especially without stabilization.

I have been really kicking around the idea of buying the Zeiss 16-70 for my NEX 6, or getting it bundled with the a6000 for just $350 more. That might be the way to fix a lot of my concerns with my NEX 6... Or it could all just be serious GAS that I need to pass!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1