Suggestions for next step? Nex C3 owner, looking to upgrade....

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by deckernico, Feb 9, 2012.

1. deckernico

deckernico New to TalkEmount

Feb 9, 2012
    So I'm about 6 months into my C3 ownership and have the 18-55 Sony, 55-210 Sony also picked up a Canon FD 1.4 50mm prime. Love the camera been using it like crazy.

My questions is i've got about 800-1000 to burn and looking to make buy more camera gear (it's addictive). My thinking was

1. get the 18-200 Tamron lense and sell the 18-55 and 55-210
    -is this worth it to move to one lense?
    2. Upgrade the body to a nex-5n
    -if i have a C3, i'd only get marginal upgrade to 5n, except for remote shutter and better iso
    3. possibly get the zeis 24 1.8
    -is it that much better than my Canon 50 1.4 SSC prime? $700-800 is alot of cheddar.

That would about burn my budget. The question is, i can do all this or save up for the Nex-7.

I take portrait shots, zoomed flora/fauna and alot of night shots.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    1. IQ should be about equal. It depends on how much you would get for your 18-55 and 55-210 and how important the convinience of just having one lens is to you.

2. NO. Its the same sensor, so no IQ benefits. Its just not worth it as a upgrade to a NEX-3.

3. Well, like I said a few weeks ago the Zeiss isn't 3 times better than a 300 bucks lens, but the little bit extra quality makes life that little bit more enjoayable. If you like 24mm focal length and you got money to burn, invest it in this lens.

4. A NEX-7. I personally shoot still with a old NEX-5 and love it! With the Zeiss lens it still delivers grat IQ. You may have more fun with a 7 first, but the Zeiss lens will last longer. And I personally think 6 months is VERY early to upgrade a camera. A camera is a tool, so it should work at least 3 years imo.