1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Suggestion for newbie

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TonyTurley, Jan 3, 2014.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    A co-worker asked me if I knew anything about those "Sony cameras with tiny bodies and big removable lenses". He said a buddy who is a "pro" is trying to get him to buy a Canon 60D or Nikon D80, but he didn't want to spend anywhere near that kind of money just to try out photography. Since his stated limit is $200-300, I suggested a used Nex-F3. I guess a C3 might work, as well. I have a 5R, but I think even used that's beyond his limit. Any other thoughts to offer?

Tony

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  3. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks serhan.

Tony

4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    As a newbie (2.5 years ago) that took the plunge into photography with the Nex-5 I would recommend the form factor to anyone wanting to get into photography, especially as e-mount is growing now and more and more pros are using it, you no longer need to leave the system if/when you get REALLY serious.
    I think your suggestion is probably right with the F3/C3 if he is limiting the budget so... I would say if he can stretch to $400 a 5 is significantly better than a 3 and would prevent the need for upgrade for a few years... I'm pretty sure I would have outgrown a 3 by now, as it stands I think I'll go another year before wanting to upgrade the body. A3000 is a great shout as well!

You can also tell him there is a friendly forum to answer all his questions here if he goes this way :)

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks José.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Both Sony's are capable cameras that won't break the bank, but give a novice some room to grow.

Also there are lots of used deals on some of the nicer bodies.

7. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Thanks Dave.