Sub-$200 wide angle lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Joshua Cairns, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Joshua Cairns

Joshua Cairns TalkEmount Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Any suggestions out there? Looking for something wider than the 16mm, preferably less than $200 (used, of course).

I should add: I'm not looking for a heavily distorted fish eye!

I know this will be hard to find, and legacy lenses are largely out of question as wide angle is a pretty recent phenomenon, but any help is appreciated!

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
  3. Joshua Cairns

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I have, and I'm tempted. The price is holding me back (as I'd have to acquire the SEL16 and the adapter). I might do it, but thought I'd explore other, perhaps cheaper, options first.

Thanks though!

4. Joshua Cairns

Oct 12, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Hrm, I hadn't looked at prices in a while but it seems I could probably get both the adapter and lens for about $200, maybe slightly more...

5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yep, the SEL16 secondhand is available for next to throwaway prices. There are very few legacy lenses faster than f4 that are also wide enough on a 1.5 crop - they did have to cover full frame after all. Also, starting from 21mm and wider, they are quite enormous. I'd look at the wide angle converter first before anything else.

6. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    The 16mm + convertor is a lot of fun and the 16mm on it's own makes the Nex very compact - easily fits in a jacket pocket.

There is a seller on ebay (UK and US) who sells the 16mm new but split from kits for a very reasonable price. I got the convertor from amazon.de but about a week after I got it amazon UK dropped their price - it was only around £80 last time I looked. The lens + convertor cost me under £200 and you are basically getting two lenses for that price.

7. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Tom
    Outside of the Sony 16mm, the only prime close to that price range/focal length that I've seen is the older Voigtlander 15mm which retails new at around $500. I've seen some used, but they're not much cheaper. If size is a concern, it is tiny. I think there's a fairly cheap Samyang, too, but it might be a fisheye (I don't know much about it). Other than that, I used to have the Sigma 10-20mm in Nikon mount. Those can be had for around $300 used and are a fairly decent lens. Not really that big, either, but maybe a tad heavy. For a wide angle though, that's a tough price point.

Regarding the Sony 16mm, I've tried 3 examples and returned them all. They all had either a focus shift problem, or the corners were terrible. Though oddly, If I could have combined the corner performance of one with the non-focus shift of the other, I'd have had a great lens! I know a lot of people have great results with them, I suspect my local store had a batch from a bad production run (?). Anyway, I've stopped trying simply because I've switched to only using lenses that can work on a full frame in hopes of there being a full frame mirrorless in the future.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    You might keep your eyes open for an old Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5. I recently saw one in a "dead mount" version (i.e. not Nikon F) go for about $125. Mine isn't perfect but it handles very nicely and covers my occasional extra-wide needs well enough for the time being.

tokina17demo-3.