• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sub-$1000 Full Frame A5 to Be Announced?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
If it is truly "absolute perfectionate mint" and you have everything that came with it, I would think $700-$750 should be achievable. Otherwise as WoodWorks found, $600-$700. I've been looking at selling my far from mint A7ii and that is about what I have seen for prices.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I own a full-frame A7iii, which is only about 8-ounces heavier than the 7c and really not all that much larger... When adding a decent lens (not a f/4-5.6 variable pancake kit lens) the size differential really doesn't make all that difference.

Additionally, I also use an A6600 and don't really think that full frame is all that much better for my uses. When I want to go light, I have no problems grabbing my A6600. The image quality is really excellent when combined with a very good lens (not a kit lens).

Of course, there are some folks that consider full-frame to be the magic elixir that will automatically transform their mundane images to works of art. As the old song goes. "It ain't necessarily so!"

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have an A6600 and an A7iii and don't plan to replace either with the A7C. Sure it is compact but, only about 225 grams lighter in weight than the A7iii... Not enough to switch for!

The real time Eye-AF in video is interesting but, since I shoot only still photography, that doesn't intrigue me greatly.

I really like the viewfinder of the A7iii better than that of the A6600 and I like the extra dials and buttons on my A7iii...

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
It's a fabulous idea but I personally am not at all interested in any camera over $800. That's my personal limit.

The A7C is a proof of concept body, Generation 2 will see what can be done, what buyers like, what they miss.

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I find it odd that a new Sony Full-Frame Mirrorless camera body model like the A7C does not have it's own discussion thread on the forum. As a long time member (though admittedly one who's been largely inactive for a bit now) I've seen intense discussions of many if not all of the new iterations of Sony E-mount bodies, their strengths and weaknesses... and they all have strengths and weaknesses of course. That most of the discussion of this new body, which happens also to be the first "all new" line under the A7 brand since 2014, is subsumed in a thread about a rumored low-cost so-called A5 is also rather odd. I know, I know, I could create a separate thread for the A7C, and the forum here is not intended as - nor should it be - a Sony fan-boi cheerleading exercise, and maybe I'm just feeling put out a little because I actually like this new more compact A7C as a potential upgrade from my trusty A7II, and maybe it's just my instinct to stick up for the unpopular (hey, I started out with the much-maligned A3000 after all), but I think Sony should be acknowledged for doing something different and offering something for different tastes.

While not everyone's cup of tea, the new A7C does offer a nice option for those looking for a more compact (if not ultra compact) full frame mirrorless interchangeable lens body that performs well in both stills photography and in video. The addition of the fully articulating flip-out screen, the latest tracking AF features found in the A7RIV and newer bodies, and a more compact body reminiscent of the A6xxx series could appeal to many looking for a new camera that can fit in more and smaller bags and offer the performance advantages of a full frame sensor with interchangeable lenses. The new kit lens, while not a world-beater is obviously tailored to the same "size with performance" ethos as the new body. All in all, a worthy addition. But as is clear, not a REPLACEMENT for the now venerable A7III. That will be the surely soon to come A7IV, which, mark it now, I predict will move up to a higher megapixel sensor... perhaps an updated version of the A7RIII's much loved 42MP sensor.

Stepping off box now....

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm going to wait a few months for this camera to drop in price. I don't see it replacing my A9 or A7III, but I can see it as alternative body I can use for travel and paired to my small Samyang primes. I have my eye on the Sam 35mm f/1.8 FE lens, I can see this lens having a place on this body!

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I have read many comments under many articles about the A7C and the quote the comes to mind is “The lady doth protest too much, methinks”. I think it will sell pretty well (given the current slow economies) and I hope to find a nice used one in a few years.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Well, the threads here do sometimes wander from the original topic. One could argue the A7C is what people were speculating about as an A5.

I have read elsewhere that in Japan, there are lines an hour long or more of people waiting to handle a store demo A7C. And I presume some are ordering one. It may be they end up with more A7C sales outside than inside the US market. Sony may have intended or suspected that all along, who knows. I think it is an interesting camera, though I agree the EVF sounds disappointing and the price is on the high side. Sony does have a history of higher initial pricing and price drops or sales not too long thereafter, so perhaps something will come along for the holidays or early next year.

I do think the next announcement we see from Sony will be the A7iv / A74 / ILCE-7M4. Some rumors think this will happen before the end of the year, though I think if they do not do it soon they will wait until after the holiday season. I think most expect a megapixel bump, perhaps to 36MP, and it will almost certainly have the new Bionz processor, menu, touchscreen functions, etc. And they may price it to compete with the new EOS R5/R6 bodies. Competition can be good for we consumers.

But I'm not looking at trading in my A7Riii anytime soon.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I actually wonder about the EVF. The Olympus Pen F had nearly the same specs, almost the same magnification and eye relief point as the A7C. I had the F and it wasn't exceptional but it was fine.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I actually wonder about the EVF. The Olympus Pen F had nearly the same specs, almost the same magnification and eye relief point as the A7C. I had the F and it wasn't exceptional but it was fine.

I need to see the A7C to see if I can deal with the smaller viewing size. Hopefully the local camera store will have one in soon or at least one of those Sony meet-n-greets. I was also fine with the Pen-F, but it made my E-M5II and E-M1 EVF look luxurious in comparison! Though on the positive side, I can see the smaller EVF being less of a battery drain, making it more ideal for travel. With USB-C and a power bank you can easily shoot with the camera with very little battery drain while on the go.

Last edited:

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I need to see the A7C to see if I can deal with the smaller viewing size. Hopefully the local camera store will have one in soon or at least one of those Sony meet-n-greets. I was also fine with the Pen-F, but it made my E-M5II and E-M1 EVF look luxurious in comparison! Though on the positive side, I can see the smaller EVF being less of a battery drain, making it more ideal for travel. With USB-C and a power bank you can easily shoot with the camera with very little battery drain while on the go.
The battery life is the high point. It’s rated around 700 shots.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
The review results i have seen so far:

Pro: AF tracking, battery life, build quality
Con: Single Card slot, EVF
Meh: Lack of front dial and joystick.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
The review results i have seen so far:

Pro: AF tracking, battery life, build quality
Con: Single Card slot, EVF
Meh: Lack of front dial and joystick.

After thinking about it, I don't want an A7C mainly due to the way the LCD flips out. I've actually broke one before on my old E-M5II, and don't care to deal with that issue again (a small kid ran into it). I actually wish it was more like the old NEX-5T which flipped forward for selfies and video.

Latest threads

Top Bottom