• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sub-$1000 Full Frame A5 to Be Announced?

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
This would be sweeeeeet!! I've been waiting for 5 years! You guys think they'll actually make it?

http://thenewcamera.com/sony-a5-rumors-surfaced-again/

1592886959365.png
   ---            

• Informative
Reactions: WNG

Petrochemist

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Mike
I hope not.
Cameras without viewfinders are badly crippled so it won't be a great camera.
Those desperate for a FF body can get a used one for well under $1000, my A7ii was under that even after conversion to IR. :)

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
On the other hand, if it had an EVF a la A6XXX series that would really be something. Sony must know that the competition is too strong for a cynical offering in the form of a full-frame camera without EVF.

But then, I think the A6600 was a pretty cynical APS-C offering. The price of the A6600 alone makes me think this new camera is either vaporware or will be as rumored - sans EVF and a non-starter for many.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
There is a small but vocal subset of Sony users who have asked for this for years. Basically, a full-frame rangefinder/a6xxx-style camera. I do not see any reason for Sony to do that, and that article appears to be pure speculation. But, maybe the non-US market could support it, I do not know.

On the flip side, it would have to be really competitive on price I think, and as has been said given the relatively low prices on existing bodies both full-frame and APS-C, I just cannot see it happening anytime soon.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Sony probably wants to do an A6100 FF style camera. Basically a body that will compete with the Canon RP. Saying that, there will probably be quite a few corners to be cut, possibly IBIS, EVF, LCD, etc. If that's the case, might as well pick up a used A7/R II.

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
I'm one of those guys who wants a small FF camera, meaning I'm totally okay with them getting rid of the viewfinder and 5-axis. Everyone who bought the full frame RX1, RX1r RX1 ii, etc., would probably take a look at this camera. Personally if Sony made an RX1 85mm I'd probably buy it and stay off the forum for a while.

There was actually even a Chinese guy who cut the prism off of his A7 and modded a black aluminum plate in its place. I tried to contact him but the Chinese guy at work can't read Chinese and I didn't feel like cutting my $1000 A7ii open an possibly ruining it.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount All-Pro
In reality, I am not all that jazzed up over full frame. My A6400 and A6600 do a very good job and although I also own the full-frame A7iii, I am often found shooting with the APSC cameras. I certainly would choose an APSC camera with an EVF over any full frame camera without one!

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
If this rumored beast is to have no EVF, then it's a pretty narrow focused audience. Possibly cram the A7III sensor into it, no IBIS, same crappy old LCD panel, slap full set of jacks into it, on the A6600 body.
Perfect for those video creators who would mount it into a gimbal. Full frame would offer the wide angle benefits that APS-C hinders.
Didn't Sigma already released something like this?

Tipton

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Doesn't make much sense to me. They'd be competing with their own used cameras, and unless it really brings something to the table, losing. But then again, it might have a flippy screen to make the vloggers squee.

Edit: If this has GPS I'm going to be spitting mad :rofl:

• Funny
Reactions: WNG

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Sony has the tech to make a pop-up EVF that's decent like the one on the RX100 series. For sure they'll have an EVF on this camera. While the A7II is covering the sub-$1000 USD price point, they're probably looking at updating that body, similar to what they did with the A6100 as a replacement for the A6000.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
The line between APS-C and F.F. is so tight already I just don't see this happening.

But IF they could cram a F.F. sensor into an APS-C Body that was under $1000 AND they did not lose any features it could be huge.

But as for me, I'm not interested in losing features for the small advantages in having a F.F. sensor.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Any full-frame camera under $1000 will get my attention. It's the details that will determine whether I actually buy it. In this case, I would not be willing to give up an EVF. Stabilization? Maybe. I operated without it just fine for decades. Of course, a vlogger might have a different opinion.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
I can see them putting in a low end evf but not none at all. Leave off IBIS.

Latest threads

Top Bottom