• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sub-$1000 Full Frame A5 to Be Announced?

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
After thinking about it, I don't want an A7C mainly due to the way the LCD flips out. I've actually broke one before on my old E-M5II, and don't care to deal with that issue again (a small kid ran into it). I actually wish it was more like the old NEX-5T which flipped forward for selfies and video.
Sadly, those screens are becoming the norm.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well, 2 year old Zeiss ZX1 is just available for preorder for $6,000:)

I love how "two-year-old" has become a vile insult in reviews. How did we ever get along in the ancient times of 2018?

A7 III is cheaper than A7C with Sony rebates now...

Dpreview review:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7c-review/7

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
My A7Riii is two or three years old, and the sensor is like five. IQ is great, and I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

I think you might see some rebates on the A7C around the upcoming holidays. Maybe.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Its availability shows that it will be getting rebate soon... It happened on A6600 and I got mint one as used... I like my A7R III but wanted smaller size with A7C.

I can see where the reviews are coming from... The grip is very personal eg I am good with bigger A6600 grip but A7C leaves pinky below the camera although they are same size cameras... Each camera iteration Sony improves its cameras and on this one it went backward... I might try it with half case... The evf is small and ok to use. It's been raining nonstop so I need to see the sun to use it outside... It is same 24MP Sony sensor and af with improvement in video tracking which I don't normally use. Every button including the record button is customizable, so I have to reprogram those esp when I use manual lenses. Otherwise it would be good for af lenses. Of course the joystick is missing which pushes me for touch screen to change focus points for manual focusing but it should not matter normally with eye af... I like the zoom size though I prefer the wider 24mm-XX range... Question is if you can live with the shortcomings or not vs size advantage esp with smaller primes.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yes, it would help to check it at a shop... It is 1+hr one way to go to B&H for me, so I hardly go to Manhattan unless I have a meeting to attend... I thought Sony closed all Sony stores in US...

The only way to get a real feel for the answer is to physically handle the camera. Good thing you're in New York. B&H, Adorama and even the Sony Store all beckon. :thumbup:

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Yes, it would help to check it at a shop... It is 1+hr one way to go to B&H for me, so I hardly go to Manhattan unless I have a meeting to attend... I thought Sony closed all Sony stores in US...

You're right about the Sony store. The last check I made had them closing it temporarily in March.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Some who have it report that the AF tracking is so good, they find themselves not even using the EVF and just relying on the rear monitor for composition. It's almost like Sony was aiming for a point-and-shoot style camera experience, but with the benefit of interchangeable lenses.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
It's almost like Sony was aiming for a point-and-shoot style camera experience, but with the benefit of interchangeable lenses.

That's kind of what the RX100 series provides - despite the great capability of those cameras. I have an RX100 V and, while I occasionally use aperture priority and shutter priority, I can usually just leave it on Auto or Intelligent Auto and the camera gets it right almost every time.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Some who have it report that the AF tracking is so good, they find themselves not even using the EVF and just relying on the rear monitor for composition. It's almost like Sony was aiming for a point-and-shoot style camera experience, but with the benefit of interchangeable lenses.
I read this in many reviews. The AF tracking is supposed to be exceptional. If that’s really true, that alone could sell a bunch of these cameras.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
A few images from yesterday with the kit lens except 1st one with CV 50mm 1.5. Kit lens is small and balances well with the camera. At wide end there is distortion similar to Sony 28mm f2. Otherwise I didn't use any correction. A few times I needed longer reach and 24MP doesn't give much to crop. I tried 28-200mm and felt front heavy. It s best with small lenses. I also find a cheap thumbs up from Rx1R II that works with it.

w-DSC00010-1.jpg
w-DSC00020-1.jpg
w-DSC00022-1.jpg
w-DSC00024-1.jpg
w-DSC00034-1.jpg
w-DSC00041-1.jpg
w-DSC00046-Pano.jpg
w-DSC00051-1.jpg
w-DSC00052-1.jpg
w-DSC00058-1.jpg
w-DSC00062-1.jpg
w-DSC00064-1.jpg
w-DSC00067-1.jpg
w-DSC00080-1.jpg

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
A few images from yesterday with the kit lens except 1st one with CV 50mm 1.5. Kit lens is small and balances well with the camera. At wide end there is distortion similar to Sony 28mm f2. Otherwise I didn't use any correction. A few times I needed longer reach and 24MP doesn't give much to crop. I tried 28-200mm and felt front heavy. It s best with small lenses. I also find a cheap thumbs up from Rx1R II that works with it.

View attachment 112708View attachment 112709View attachment 112710View attachment 112711View attachment 112712View attachment 112713View attachment 112714View attachment 112715View attachment 112716View attachment 112717View attachment 112718View attachment 112719View attachment 112720View attachment 112721
Can we assume you bought it? Very nice images.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Can we assume you bought it? Very nice images.
Thanks. Yes, it will replace the G1X III that I use as a pocket camera... I have also the small Voigtlander/Samyang primes to give me other options for a small FF set up.... IBIS might not be the best but still it managed 1/13 sec shot 50mm 1.5 at ISO 12800 at first image above with only light coming from the bathroom... I need to try with variable nd filter for landscapes to see how much I can push the IBIS... The camera keeps the 1/f stop with the kit lens without adjusting anything in aperture priority mode...

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Congratulations, Serhan! Where did you end up buying it? I already have the Sony 28mm f/2.0, the Sony 35mm f/2.8, and the older Sony 50mm f/1.8 lenses, which would likely work well on this camera. I'm trying to decide whether I should bother with the 28-60mm kit lens.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Thanks. Yes, it will replace the G1X III that I use as a pocket camera... I have also the small Voigtlander/Samyang primes to give me other options for a small FF set up.... IBIS might not be the best but still it managed 1/13 sec shot 50mm 1.5 at ISO 12800 at first image above with only light coming from the bathroom... I need to try with variable nd filter for landscapes to see how much I can push the IBIS... The camera keeps the 1/f stop with the kit lens without adjusting anything in aperture priority mode...
Did you go to NYC and hold one? That's the kiss of death.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I went down this round awhile back with M43. I wanted to get the Pen-F so bad, I sold both my EM5 II bodies and went with the E-M1 and Pen-F pairing, only to realize I preferred the SLR-like handling of the EM5 II over the Pen-F! It was mainly due to the bigger EVF, better IBIS and better control layout. Like the A7C, the Pen-F also skimmed on features to fit the small form factor. The Pen-F did picture well and looked cooler when walking around with it! :D

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
Congratulations, Serhan! Where did you end up buying it? I already have the Sony 28mm f/2.0, the Sony 35mm f/2.8, and the older Sony 50mm f/1.8 lenses, which would likely work well on this camera. I'm trying to decide whether I should bother with the 28-60mm kit lens.
From B&H... I like the kit lens. Although it has limited range, eg no 24mm, it is small enough to fit in a pocket. I like shooting primes, but I prefer zooms when I am walking around as dust enters the camera when changing lenses... If you go in equivalency, it is 14-30mm f2-2.8 in m43 or 19-40mm f2.5-3.5 in apsc where it would be an expensive zoom... You can read the reviews and also I checked the dpreview samples where you can see some bokeh at portrait shots (you have to be close to your subject):

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/sony-fe-28-60mm-f4-56
https://www.photoreview.com.au/revi...l-frame/sony-fe-28-60mm-f-4-5-6-sel2860-lens/
https://www.dpreview.com/samples/8143867620/more-kit-lens-sony-a7c-sample-gallery-updated
https://www.dpreview.com/news/4319381909/sony-announces-tiny-fe-28-60mm-f4-5-6-full-frame-zoom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom