• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sub-$1000 Full Frame A5 to Be Announced?

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-a7c-additional-specs-leaked/

It looks like a nice camera. A little bigger and heavier than the A6600. The price is a bit too high for me, but this could be an ideal camera for many. Except for the FA screen, it looks like a great street camera. I have no objection to the FA screen, but many street shooters like a tilt screen.
Not being a vlogger, this camera seems a bit strange to me and way overpriced. Same guts as the A7III, which is fine, it is a great camera. But missing a card slot, joystick, 3 custom buttons on top and a front control dial. Yet they want $100 MORE than a A7III??? Sony seems to be saying bend over vloggers, we got your camera. This should have been $1,600 max.

Last edited:

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
This camera kind of looks like what all the Panasonic GX8 fans want as an update. Use f/1.8 primes on it and I don't see a problem. I can envision it as a second camera - but purchased only on sale.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
Not being a vlogger, this camera seems a bit strange to me and way overpriced. Same guts as the A7III, which is fine, it is a great camera. But missing a card slot, joystick, 3 custom buttons on top and a front control dial. Yet they want $100 MORE than a A7III??? Sony seems to be saying bend over vloggers, we got your camera. This should have been $1,600 max.
The price is the huge problem. I suspect they’ll get the early adopters who don’t care about the money and then it will drop by quite a bit. I used to shoot Olympus and this was their usual MO. Interestingly, it is similar in size to the Fuji X100 series, but a bit heavier with a bigger grip. Of course, you do have to add a lens to the A7C. However, I have found the X100v to be a nice sized camera.

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I think this is likely to contain the new guts from the A7Siii. So new Bionz processor, new menus, touchscreen functions, probably improved video, etc. It is more like a compact version of an A7iv than A7iii, in my mind. And if it has all the new guts, it will be likely to get firmware updates as they ramp things up to compete with Canon in particular.

We will know a lot more on Tuesday.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Basically, I quit listening to previews of Sony cameras before they are put up for sale. I remember the high expectations of a "Mini A9" before the A6600 was introduced. The A6600 is a very nice camera but a "Mini A9" it is not!

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
My attitude is just get out there and shoot. Depending on your preference of genre, the body is less important than the lenses and especially the photographer.

For those shooting fast moving objects, doing photography for a living, one can justify upgrades. Just shooting static subjects like I'm doing, I'm content.

PS... I have my doubts that this A7C will sell well. Bet in a year, it'll be heavily discounted and get it for $1,000 or less.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
I think some vloggers will buy it. It would make a pretty good travel camera, too. But it has a lot of competition from Fuji in that market. You can buy a lot of APSC for a $1000 these days. It may be interesting if Sony makes some high quality pancake lenses.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
PS... I have my doubts that this A7C will sell well. Bet in a year, it'll be heavily discounted and get it for $1,000 or less.
I hope you’re right. That would make it cheaper than the A6600 or it’s successor. I’m betting more 1200-1300.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
This camera is not made for people like most of us. At least not as a primary body.

It was designed for people who want more than a smartphone camera, but are unlikely to go with something as large and seemingly complex as a typical A7-series camera. A bunch of custom buttons are of little to no interest. No need to move an AF point around if tapping on the screen works (it does). Most will use whatever lens it comes with and maybe only ever buy one or two more lenses (unless they get the bug and become one of us, lol). They do not want a camera that does not fit in a coat pocket or the average purse. Size and ease-of-use are paramount. It is for family and travel photos. For the more serious photographer who want something simpler for that purpose, it will be a great second body, and full-frame to boot.

As the dpreview article put it, "The a7C has the potential to become the family camera for people who wouldn't currently consider full-frame or a really capable travel companion for experienced photographers."

Frankly I was personally originally attracted to Sony bodies because of the size and the liveview-all-the-time features. My first Sony was a NEX-5N; it was amazingly small but still very capable. I loved it, great camera for me at the time. Yet there were plenty of options when I did start getting deeper into it, and I think the A7C is similar in that regard.

I do think they priced it a bit high. But many cameras, Sony included, get discounted not long after they are introduced. There will be holiday discounting, and I think maybe the MSRP will eventually drop several hundreds of USD, but I don't see it going down to $1000 in a year. Then again, I am no marketing genius for sure.

We will see.

Drd1135

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Steve
The worst feature for me is the tiny EVF, although for me that is more of a luxury. I can frame the shot just fine and that's all I really use it for. The best thing is the large battery, especially as a travel camera. I can live without out a front dial if I have a rear dial and an Exp. Comp. dial. I suspect lighter is more important than smaller. The only really bigger aspect of the A7 iii is the EVF on top and neither is exactly pocket-able.
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-accurate-sony-a7c-vs-sony-a7iiii-vs-a6600-size-comparison/
Unfortunately, $1799 is not that out of range for a modern camera. What did the A6600 cost when it first came out?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I believe the A6600 debuted at $1400 body only, $1800 with kit lens (USD).

I looked up the current A6600 price on Amazon and it is $1200 body only, $1500 with kit lens.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm with Will on this. Get out and shoot! [I know, I should take my own advice.]
I'm more than happy with my two Sony's. I wasn't looking for a camera that would fit in a pocket. I very rarely take pictures of the insides of my pockets so why would I want a camera that fits in them?
I got into Sony's because of my old lenses and wanted a way to enjoy them without the costs of film being involved. Yeah, I could have gotten a lot of film developed for what I have invested in my cameras. But, they allow me to shoot uninhibitedly when I do shoot. Film wouldn't allow that. Plus, I can change the ISO whenever I want to. Hard to do that with film. [See how I wiggled out of that one?]
I could enjoy this new camera because it would cut down on my battery count for one thing. And I think I could hand it to my wife with it in 'point 'n shoot mode' and she'd be able to handle it just fine.
Who knows? Maybe someday...

SpecFoto

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Jim
As I said in my post above, it is the A7III guts including the old menu system, 4:2:0 8 bit recording, same EVF and LCD screen, but missing some of the controls, buttons and 2nd SD slot that make the A7III such a joy to use. Plus in the area I live with such bright sun, the max 1/4000 ss kills it for me. It does have the updated video AF tracking feature that the A7III lacks*, plus a flip-out screen so it seems to be set up for vloggers and travelers. But still they should have updated the video specs to 10 bit and given it the new menu system like on the A7SIII, then I think the vloggers would have flocked to it at $1,800. Sony simply compromised the video specs to make sure no one even thinking of getting the A7SIII would look at this. And to those who mainly shoot stills, like me, the A7III is a better and easier to use camera, especially since is it priced at $1,798 on sale most times.

This camera is a master of none, being just good at stills and video, but aimed at those who feel they must have a full frame sensor. Once it drops a bit in price I could see this becoming a big seller as the entry way into the Sony Alpha FF universe.

*EDIT: Many having the A7III often asked why the new AF Tracking feature that was announced with the A6400 has not been brought to the A7III in a FW upgrade. I have not seen where Sony every answered this but it was often speculated the BinozX processor in the A7III might not be up to the task. Well, we now know that is not true, Sony (Stupidly, because you can't just make this stuff up) used the same photo below from the Feb 2018 debut of the A7III to show the sensor in the new A7C, and from what has been said it is the same. So let the campaign begin to get the A7III upgraded.

913dc9bafb4367cc2125ec145b7ffadc.jpeg
   ---            

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I think I like the Nikon Z5 over this. Cheaper and better spec'ed EVF. Too bad Nikon doesn't have access to Samyang AF primes!

tjdean01

TalkEmount Regular
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A7c + Samyang 75/1.8 would fit nicely in my bag next to my small Panasonic m4/3s camera with its 24-62mm equivalent lens. The A7ii with Canon FD 85/1.8 never fit comfortably so I always threw another m4/3s lens in its place. (Honesty I think the A7ii + Samyang would fit nicely in the bag but I only learned of the lens's existence a few days ago so now I want to pair it with the A7c instead.)

Two questions:

1) What's an absolute perfectionate mint A7ii worth? It's never touched a surface harder than my hands, has probably had fewer than 10 lens changes (I only had the kit zoom and the 50/1.8 and don't like either), and has probably left the house fewer than 10 times as well.

2) So this A7c is the "sub-$1000 FF" that was rumored and nothing cheaper is on the horizon? If they removed the EVF, flippy screen, and IBIS, I think it would a half inch thinner and maybe under $1200. Personally, I'd take that smaller option. Viewfinders make my eyes blurry after using them, I never use the flippy screen, and IBIS isn't needed when the cameras can shoot clean ISO3200 now.

Last edited:

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
1) What's an absolute perfectionate mint A7ii worth? It's never touched a surface harder than my hands, has probably had fewer than 10 lens changes (I only had the kit zoom and the 50/1.8 and don't like either), and has probably left the house fewer than 10 times as well.
If you go to eBay and look at the recent sold/completed listings, most A7II body-only auctions are ending in the US$600–700 range these days.

Top Bottom