Featured Stumptown

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by WoodWorks, Nov 29, 2017.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    37997365644_d16b379a7a_b.
    Stumptown
    by David Wood, on Flickr

My wife was up in Portland, reprising a role she had played here at the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland this summer. So I flew up there to see the closing weekend and wander around the city with my camera.

37997624394_d3629cdd10_b.
    Hawthorne Bridge
    by David Wood, on Flickr

It rained almost continuously while I was there. But we Oregonians aren't ones to be put off by a little moisture.

26939567279_df8de0cc95_b.
    St. Johns Bridge
    by David Wood, on Flickr

Portland was hacked out of the wooded hills above the Willamette River, so its nickname is "Stumptown." And legend has it that the earliest inhabitants would jump from stump to stump to avoid getting their boots muddy.

24842583538_0654e855df_b.
    11th & Washington
    by David Wood, on Flickr

37998193504_90c05873b6_b.
    Voodoo Doughnut
    by David Wood, on Flickr

Only Oregonians would stand in line in the rain for a doughnut.

37998448664_e7af8239fe_b.
    Kelly's
    by David Wood, on Flickr

Me? I ducked out of the rain into this little bar that had a bunch of old Brit bikes hanging from the ceiling. My kind of place!

Incidentally, all of these images were shot with my new (used) A7RII, which somebody put up for sale on eBay for a Buy It Now price of US$1599 right before I happened to wander in and check the current offerings. I know I had said I wasn't interested in an A7RII. But the original owner had used it for just three months, and the camera had only 158 shutter activations. What could I do? :redface:

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I had never heard that bit about Stumptown. Very interesting.

And what a steal on the camera!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Been in this town a few times, very pleasant place and folks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, at least the rain made for moody pictures. I'm a bit disappointed in your failure to resist the A7R2, but what can I say? I can only hope no one checks the consistency of my statements here about getting or not getting cameras and lenses.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Fantastic shots, the rain simply added to the atmosphere of Portland. The bike bar is uber cool!
    I totally enjoyed my stay in Portland the first time there, and hope to revisit some day.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    As a guy I know would put it, “Woof”!!!
    :D

Awesome photos David
    #1 and #3 are my favorites ;)
    And congrats on the new toy, er tool I meant to say :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Nice set !!

As an aside, would like to know how that building length painting of a woman was done...seemed like an incredibly good job for such a huge painting

8. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I have family recently relocated to Portland, so I have only been there once, but really liked it. The image inside the bar is most impressive to me -- difficult lighting managed beautifully! I think #4 is my favorite though. It captures the spirit of the place nicely.

9. fractal

fractal TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Love the last shot!

10. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Hmmm, given the legalized recreational use of a certain miracle herb, maybe those are 'funny' donuts!
    4:20pm daily special...15 for price of a dozen. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yes, and I got to test the camera's weather resistance too! It and my 21, 35, and 85mm lenses came through completely unscathed.

I have no idea. But my guess is that they projected an image onto the building, did a rough "sketch" from a scaffold, and then did the final version over time from the same scaffold. But that's just a wild guess.

Thanks Bert, I've been very impressed with the DR latitude this sensor provides. And the resolution. While out at the St. Johns Bridge, I stumbled upon this couple doing what appeared to be an engagement shoot out of the rain.

Engagement Shoot.

This is probably cropped "a bridge too far," but it gives a good idea how much slack you have within a 42MP frame (and 85mm f/1.8 lens)

Cropped.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Agree on that :2thumbs:

13. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    David WoodWorks your Loxia 21 and the new (used) A7Rii would make an awesome landscape combo. Congrats on the new acquisition.

14. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Nice shots David. Looks like you were up at Pittock Mansion. I like the vantage point from up there. Never gone inside though as I usually have a dog with me.

Only the ones with out-of-town visitors. You can pick out the natives by the annoyed look on their faces as their family/friends wait for those famous but "meh" donuts. :D

It's a popular place. All the times I've been to St. Johns, there's a photo shoot of some kind.

• Like Like x 1
  15. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, and the out-of-towners are the ones with the umbrellas. No self-respecting Oregonian uses an umbrella! :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

May 21, 2016
    randy
    HA!

I just bought one... shhhhh :hiding:

• Funny Funny x 3