Stumptown Coffee + Helios 44m-7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dsiglin, May 17, 2013.

1. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Recently a knick knack shop opened in my town with the curious name "We Took To The Woods". It's a family owned and run business which specializes in eclectic objects, mostly vintage. The store is brimming with ambiance and wonderful things. They are also the only place in town to buy Stumptown Coffee, an excellent roaster based in Oregon. The wife had been wanting to visit so when I saw The Vagabond Barista (a local coffee legend) was conducting a brewing demonstration I secured us a spot. I recently bought a Helios 44m-7 and figured I'd give it a go since the night's events would no doubt offer some great photo opportunites. Three brewing methods were demonstrated - Bee House, Chemex, Siphon. We tasted how not only does brewing method influence the flavor profile but also how the flavor changes as the coffee cools. very neat stuff and I learned a lot, even best practices for how to pour the water over the coffee grounds. I already have too many coffee brewing aparatuses but I'm severely tempted to purchase a Bee House style drip. It produces very light coffee.

Some notes on the lighting: It was mostly old style filament bulbs which seem to be the rage right now, very dim with some natural light early on. By the time the demonstration was done it was dark outside. I probably should have set a custom white balance due to the strange light mixture. In Lightroom I had to desaturate the reds and yellows so the skin looked normal. I decided that it was a good time to try out split-toning. I picked a purple for shadows to give a warmer feel and a tan/green for the highlights. I had to pull back the tan/green in some photos to help the skin tones.

Normally I shoot aperture priority mode when using legacy lenses but this time I set my shutter speed to 80 and let the ISO do most of the work.

I'm still learning how to "develop" raw files so any critique is greatly appreciated. I realize some people may not like the look of split toning. On another site someone mentioned it was too "instagram". I appreciate natural and more moody color schemes in photos. I come from a graphic design background so fidelity to reality is something I don't hold that dearly to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Nice stuff. Like the pp

3. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    Thank you, glad to share. Forgot to mention the third image is actually a reflection from a giant mirror in the room.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Well done, esp for a manual focus lens.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Agree, well done. A few that could be a bit sharper, but all in all a great series.

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice photos :thumbup:

I agree, they look a bit "instagram"
    I barely know how to PP, but I would maybe up the contrast a bit

:)

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    My first thought as well, most can use a little bit more contrast. I think I'd try it with the white and black point sliders because there seems to be some room there. Being a novice at Lightroom you're doing quite well I think: I hardly ever use split toning. Just got an idea: next time in mixed lighting I will take grey card shots using the various light sources, make it easier to determine optimum white balance for the corresponding parts of the scene using the white balance dropper in LR.

8. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Nice series. Indoor lighting is hell for white balance but what you did looks alright. As was stated contrast up a bit? I am a long time user of LR but never used split toning, I will have to play with that. Thanks for sharing.