1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Studio flash to use with A7 and A6000

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by BLUK, Jan 28, 2016.

1. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Hello,
    On A7 and A6000 there is no PC sync socket to attach sync cable,however I bought a hotshoe to pc sync adapter with a to use it with other flashguns and flash strobes.
    I am thinking of this item on auction site--
    540W Studio Flash Lighting Set Photography Strobe Light 3 x 180W Portrait Kit UK

Please advise if this will be sufficient for mainly portraiture and general photography.
    Thanks.

2. Mus Aziz

Mus Aziz TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I had a look at the 540W Studio flash kit you mentioned. The kit comes with a wireless transmitter and receiver. You just need a normal hotshoe to Sony multi interface shoe adapter for the transmitter, and run the other 2 flash heads on slaves. But looking closely at the description, it does say "One receiver can trigger 3 flash lights."

3. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thank you very much for reply.
    I bought a hotshoe to pc sync adapter from amazon.I was arount 10GBP, should it be fine or need anything special?
    Would it have been too much of works for Sony to put sync spcket because my ols trusty Canon 20D has one!

4. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    I think the trend these days is wireless. ;)

5. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thats fine.I will take a wireless boat!
    Does that kit on ebay include what I need to get going or do I need anything extra?
    I can ask seller but he/she is in fareast and most of the times not very helpful with technical querries.

6. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I only see a single receiver for Wl: that means you will have to run pc cords between the 3 flashes for them to work as all radio controlled or use the single receiver for the furthest flash and rely on optical remote for the others to work.

The light stands in this kit only go up 2 meters and this will be a handicap with soft boxes or umbrellas.

180 WS is not very powerful to use with soft boxes. See here on power required with some Elinchrom light modifiers (Joules in this articles equal WS)
    http://www.kelvin-pro.com/blog/tests-de-produit/les-modeleurs-de-la-gamme-elinchrom
    For non french speaking people here: all shots at ISO 100 F10 aperture all @ 1/125sec with background about 3 meters behind subject.

An Elinchrom kit with 2 440 WS lights ( or i think there is a kit with 1 X 200 WS and 1 X 400WS ) complete with better (higher) light stands and built-in radio WL is probably more but i will keep better resale value should you want to change later.

7. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thanks Michel.

8. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    Further to what Michel said, I think you need to ask the seller a lot of questions, like:

1. Are the transmitter and receiver true radio/wireless or simple IR units. It's not very clear in the sellers blurb.

2. Do the heads come with built in IR receivers, if OP is going the optical route.

3. Although RoHS compliant, are these meant for lots of pops in a short period or otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  9. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    1) The radio transmitter looks a lot like the inexpensive iShoot PT-04 units that cost about 12$ each.
    2) The heads do seem to come with optical receivers since there is a remote button/control and they mention slave in the specs.
    3) i see there is a modelling light (type G5,3 75W) Is this something common / expensive to replace ? it seems to have no protection caps to protect them

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Mus Aziz

Sep 3, 2015
    Mus
    When I had my Visatec lights years ago, I remember replacing the tube and also the modelling light on one of the heads, but can't recall the cost, unfortunately.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Thank you everybody.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BLUK

BLUK TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 30, 2015
    B L
    Update.
    Finally I jumpded in and bought the set.
    Very well packed and all as offered in sale.
    No instruction whatsoever! But easy enough to set up.
    And yes, flash transmitter and one receiver seem to trigger all three.

• Informative Informative x 1