1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stuck at home photography ideas for cold days

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Poki, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hi you guys,

as you may know, I hate winter. Which is a bad thing, since in Austria, winter is pretty much the most important season - tons of snow, ice cold and mass tourism.

Still, I don't want to waste so much time. So - please share your stuck at home photography projects, ideas and thoughts! I'll add my own throughout the winter once I come around creating something.

• Like Like x 1
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Which is the opposite for us here in the American Southwest. Winter is our great weather time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Candle flames (macro), spinning coins, bouncing balls, something swinging on the end of a string, water drops, take 30 shots in one room with one lens. I could go on... ;)

• Like Like x 2
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, this will only get you through the first part of the dark months. But if you, like me, are often stumped for gift ideas for friends and family, you may want to consider assembling a calendar of your year's photos as a present. It's something I've been doing for the past 12 years now, and not only is it a consumable gift (so you can give the same damn thing year after year), but it gives you an opportunity to show off your work without holding your poor viewers hostage.

In the past I've printed and assembled the calendars myself, but this year I decided to give one of the calendar-printing services a try, in this case Shutterfly, and my printed calendars for next year arrived just a couple of days ago. The results aren't quite as good as what I could do with my own printer, but they're still good enough to make me proud to have them displayed. And given the cost of ink and paper, the price for the Shutterfly calendars came in only slightly higher.

[​IMG]

I'm telling you, saving yourself many a shopping trip, and having your family members actually looking forward to seeing what they're getting from you is priceless. ;)

• Like Like x 8
  5. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I eat chocolate all day long... then I shoot nothing

• Like Like x 5
  6. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Miniatures and christmas tree lights!

• Like Like x 2
  7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Mmmmmm... Sounds like time well spent to me. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    A few possibilities come to mind, based on what I've been doing.

1: studio still life

2: extreme close-ups

3: printing

All 3 of these things are currently presenting me with a certain amount of frustration and exhilaration. I could easily spend all this winter and next just honing my skills on these things.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Some more ideas:

- Practice single flash + multiple flashes portraits
    - family/group portraits
    - Interior architecture (hotels, churches, shopping malls, museums, public buildings, etc.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Damn, that sounds like heaven!

That calendar looks great! I'm not sure I shot 12 images worth printing this year, though.

Studio still life is what I usually do when I really don't know what else to do. It's not that it's boring, I just don't seem to come up with any great ideas lately.

Close-ups are a nice thing, definitely need to experiment more with macro photography.

Printing? Damn, that gets so expensive so quickly! The format I'm currently printing runs me €100 + shipping for a 60 x 40 cm print - so that's mighty expensive. I also would love to try the Fuji Instax printer, but €150 for an instant printer + €2 per print? Not cheap either. As for anything in-between - no thanks. I work at an ad agency, and having to print the mid class products day in and day out, I just can't see these mediocre prints anymore. And the special prints we do are too expensive for personal use, unfortunately.

11. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Flippin genius about the calendar! I can't believe I didn't think of that for my parents. So thank you! :)
    They will love to get a calendar full of pics of their granddaughter taken by their daughter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Glad to help. My invoice for the idea is in the mail. :p

I can recommend Shutterfly, BTW. It's not fine art printing by any means, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Plus they have a gazillion different formats you can use, the turn-around took less than a week, and when I ordered mine they had a 50% on-line discount and free shipping (since expired :frown:, but they may have other discounts available).

• Like Like x 1
  13. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    I've got tropical fish -- actually local fish caught near where I live -- and those are always good for taking photos. This one is my two males mouth wrestling: [​IMG]

The other thing I do, besides photographing my dog, is photographing the orchids in my passageway (also local, but I have some purchased house plants, too). This is Epidendrum peperomia:

[​IMG]

If you've got a hobby, document what you're doing with it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Canon & B&H made me a double-rebate offer I couldn't refuse for the Pixma Pro-1 printer. I'll be getting my money's worth this season in fun and gifts for my friends. Expanding into print sales and gallery exhibits should keep me from getting bored - or financially ahead - this winter. ;)

15. OldNoob

OldNoob TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    I saw an interesting set on flickr once where a guy photographed his child's toys interacting in various action and drama settings within the home.

16. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    That's who I use and think they do a great job at an excellent price...and they run sales so often...real sales...that I've learned to just wait a bit until the next 40%-50% sale pops up and then send in a bunch of 8x10s, etc...