1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Street photography tips

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by NickCyprus, Oct 1, 2014.

1. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Trying to get an idea on some settings I should use for my first time doing street photography this weekend.

Specifically, wondering if I should use AF-C (Continuous Autofocus) or Object Tracking for this. First option only available in AF (not DMF, which is my usual).

Also:
    Autofocus Area, Multi or Center
    Metering Mode, Multi or Center

Thanks in advance
    -Nick

2. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    While im not the best at street, I normally use centre auto focus and hold the shutter and recompose and for the metering I usually use multi.

• Like Like x 1
  3. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Same thing, I'm not a street photographer but I talked to a pro one and ever since I shoot in spot metering and recompose once I've hit the shutter button halfway.
    I guess AF-S should be fine. Depends if you should buildings or moving cars.
    And multi point AF I guess. That's what I usually do but if you want to focus on a specific zone in your frame then use spot AF. I never use the center one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    are you shooting people or buildings?

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I will be attempting to photograph people

6. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I shoot in hyperfocal always so I do not need to care about focusing, only for framing

• Like Like x 1
  7. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    When I am shooting moving people I don't always zone focus with a fstop around f8 with auto iso. When shooting portraits through a window or building I use auto focus with a fstop between wide open and f5.6

• Like Like x 1
  8. jedilost1

jedilost1 TalkEmount Regular

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    What type of equipment are you using? Body? lens focal length? I shoot on the street lots, primarily in film and shutter is usually around 500-250 and f stops from 5.6-11 depending on weather conditions. On digital I keep it around the same but sometimes bump up shutter to 1000 and do f4

• Like Like x 1
  9. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Also I switch between a 35mm and 50mm focal length lens to zone focus with

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Lately when I go out to do some street I usually take my nex-6 with my zuiko 24 and my sel35 ( for 35/50mm equivalent) I also take my olympus om10 and a zuiko 50 and use tri x. I use both the 24 and the 50 on the om.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jedilost1

Oct 1, 2014
    New Jersey
    Love the Om10! Do you develop your own trix?

12. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Ive never developed my own film, but id like to give it a go, sounds like a fun experiment. The only thing holding me back from getting more into film is my lack of a decent scanner, and an Epson v700 is damn pricy heh.