1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Strange world in Member Buy, Sell and Trade

Discussion in 'Site Information' started by Michael Johansson, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    Am I the only one here that find it very strange to devide the world in USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Other in the trade department?

It is after all a huge difference between trading within EU and outside EU for instance. If I buy within EU there is no extra tax or VAT but if I buy from outside EU I will most likely have to pay duty and then VAT. Difference might be in the region of 25%.

Parhaps it would be better to devide the world in economic zones where trade is duty and VAT free? At least change UK to EU or make it possible to write location manually.

Thank you!

2. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I agree change UK to EU (well UK is part of the EU anyway) I have happily bought stuff from other EU countries (private sales and from businesses) but I know some people selling their own items may feel more comfortable posting only to their own country.

For member, buy/sell there should be no VAT applicable as it is a private sale of used goods? Or does it apply to used goods as well?
    I see what you mean about extra tax/duty or VAT though - I once got charged £12 fees/vat/duty for a new item from the US that cost £16 and was therefore only £1 over the customs limit of £15, but my total cost ended up almost double.

3. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    If I´m not missinformed duty and VAT apply on any item bought from outside EU to Sweden from private or business.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Added option for EU