Strange spots in the picture

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Hi there,

After taking this pic, I noticed a few visibly darker spots in the sky... They kinda look like stains (hope you can see them, too). What could it be? Is there sth on my sensor? It seems perfectly clean... Any ideas? Thanks.

985ABC76-9F98-4EE9-B529-FECDA9267FE2.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kmac76

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
Hi there,

After taking this pic, I noticed a few visibly darker spots in the sky... They kinda look like stains (hope you can see them, too). What could it be? Is there sth on my sensor? It seems perfectly clean... Any ideas? Thanks.

View attachment 107717
Hi there,

View attachment 107717
I know that there are many folks on the site with lots of experience- but my 2 cents is that there is something something on your sensor- I had similar “spots” and after watching lots of videos and doing some research, I picked a sensor cleaning kit and carefully followed the process... spots gone. Good luck

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks. I wonder how it could have happened... I mean, there is a lot of those spots there... and I never had the sensor exposed in any harsh environment... damn :(

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Dirt on the sensor is the first thought. It can also be dirt on the rear objective lens element of the lens.
But 9 times out the 10, it's on the sensor. Try to blow it off with a typical camera 'rocket' blower. If that doesn't work, you'll need to 'wet' clean the surface of the sensor.
It's very easy to get the sensor 'dirty'. Dust, particulates in the air, aerosol spray of moisture, smoke, etc. can deposit on the sensor when exposed.

Don't worry about having to periodically clean the sensor. It's easy and there are plenty of specialized kits available, I usually achieve a satisfactory job with simple cotton swabs and aqueous lens cleaning solutions.

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Sensor dust. Get yourself a cleaning kit, it's not difficult. Or you can just clone it out in Lightroom.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
Always try the blower first, it can often do the job and carries practically no risk. Don't use your breath or compressed air, get a blower. Don't cheap out on the blower - trust me, but don't ask how I know. :D It makes a lot of difference and you want one that puts out a nice strong burst of air. Oh, and hold the camera with the mount face down so the dirt falls out of the camera.

If that fails, you can sometimes brush the crud off, but you want a very soft brush preferably one made for camera gear. I use one I have on the other end of a lens cleaning pen, if you have/buy one of those.

If you are going to wet clean it, and you have an IBIS-equipped body, be sure to go into the menus and select "Cleaning Mode". Then leave the power on - don't turn the camera off while you clean the sensor. This option locks the IBIS mechanism in place, which both makes it easier to clean and provides some protection for the mechanism itself from you.

Wet cleaning is not a big deal, and how often you might have to do it will vary with your shooting conditions. Personally I have seldom needed to do it, blowing or brushing usually takes care of it. And as Tipton/Rae said, it is pretty easy to get rid of spots with Lightroom, Capture One, etc. But you don't want to have to do it all the time and it can become quite tedious if you have a lot of spots.

bdbits

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bob
By the way, if you run across something like this video, that is how NOT to clean your sensor. :rofl:

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Practice changing lenses with the camera body facing down. Turn your back to the wind and shield the camera.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
My $.02 worth for free, don't use cotton swaps, they can shed. Get some foam tipped ones. I found some at the local electronics store (Yes, we still have one of those here in town).

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
It would also help if we had an option to close the shutter when changing lenses.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
All good advice. Sensor dust is so easy to pick up and can frustrate the hell out of you later when viewing those images

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom