1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

"Strange" M42 mount question...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by davehg, Jun 3, 2013.

1. davehg

davehg New to TalkEmount

Jun 3, 2013
    Hello.

I am hoping you can help me. I have been experimenting with adapted manual lenses. I just bought a Sigma XQ 28mm f2.8. It was sold with an M42 mount advertised. However, when it arrives there are some irregularities with the mount when compared to my Helios and Hanimex lenses. I posted photos showing the difference.

1. Is this a M42? It does screw down to a certain point, but the square "pin" and blade (flange? - see the photos), means it will not screw down enough against my M42-NEX adapter to actually depress the infinity-focus pin. I noticed this on another M42 on sale at ebay by the way, so any background information would be helpful to me and appreciated! My adapter has a lip to depress the infinity-focus pin. Is there a type without it? If so, problem solved (?)

2. If not M42 what is it?

The lens is in *MINT* shape, so I am loathe to give up on it. Any help would be appreciated!

2013-06-03_103600. 2013-06-03_103855. 2013-06-03_121952.

Attached Files:

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are m42 adapters without the lip and modifying the existing one is easy too.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    One posibility is use a M42 to PK adapter and then PK to Nex adapter. I think that I am going to get a couple of these and put them M42 lenses I own.

4. davehg

davehg New to TalkEmount

Jun 3, 2013
    Unfortunately, you lose aperture control if you do that. I ended up pulling out my dremel tool and grinding the protruding parts down. Aperture works and it seems ok.....but I need to shoot to see if it is actually so. The lens has a reputation for excellent sharpness. If I lost that, then I am out $40, so not a huge deal.

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You use superglue to glue the pin down. I think that dremeling the lens is quite ok as there is no cameras to use these extra levers anyway.