Still no A6000 Update News from Sony

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by davect01, Jan 6, 2016.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
  2. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    We still have CP+ next month... So don't give up hope yet :)

3. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    It must be.

I was tired waiting, got A7ii...

Tapatalk

4. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I know there is a lot of hand-wringing, but I'm not certain why. The a6000 is still very competent. I don't think Sony is going to build a massive APS-C platform. FF is clearly what has fired it up for them. I don't think they'll drop APS-C either. Kind of like Canon and Nikon, but with out the D500 or 7D. Consumer/hobbyist level bodies, and a small selection of dedicated glass, with the expectation that holes are filled using FF alternatives?

Just a guess, but they have a blueprint from Canikon, so I don't know why they'd do it otherwise.

Having said all that, I still think we'll see an a6100 soon. But I know I'm happy where I am.

5. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    Partly disagree.

I think Sony will turn upside down APS-C world, especially the part belonging to Canikon unless they do something about it.

Tapatalk

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

The concern is the complete and utter lack of any information, excitement or even acknowledgment that APS-C exists from Sony.

Sure the A6000 is amazing and a hot seller, but all the talk is FF related. Will Sony continue the APS-C E-Mount line, or will the A6000 be it. We don't know. The A7 FF line has body and lens roadmaps, updated twice a year, whereas the APS-C side has had no info for a long time. I am not anti-FF at all, I just simply don't have the $$$ to spend $2-3000 on a camera. Give me an FF sensor, in a body the size of the A6000, for under $800 and I will be happy.

I remain optimistic, and hope something new is coming soon, but with each quarter that passes, I become just a little less secure in Sony's plans for APS-C E-Mount.

7. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    Yeah, I do get it. I thought, too, that Sony's FF "roadmap" hasn't exactly been accurate anyway???

I think they just have X resources to spread over 2X projects, and FF burned hotter than expected. I dont think they'll drop APS-C, its just not getting the investment right now.

But what do I know? not much, lol!

8. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Serbia
    davect01,

actually you have almost A6000 size FF body --> A7 is not that bigger. It is a bit taller, but in hands it feels same. Weight is also more comparable between A6000 and A7, then between A7 and A7ii. Dead race if you ask me.

Sony A7 vs Sony a6000 Detailed Comparison

I don't believe they sell that much FF bodies comparing to APS-C. No camera producer lives on FF cameras, but on consumer products, entry level and mid level cameras. That's why I see bright future in Sony, they hit bullseye where the money is. People will not buy forever Canikon DSLR on current momentum. You always need to add energy to the wheel to keep spinning, and can't see Canikon is adding any energy for years. They've put 8 years between two flagship APS-C bodies.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I seriously doubt it. Don't forget what the Nex-7 (flagship) used to cost when new ;)

10. WT21

Aug 7, 2011
    I got my a7 used for about $800

It is noticeably heavier and taller, though, than my a6000.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya. I doubt that would ever happen.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The A7 is nice for stills, but serverly limited in other features, especially quick AF. Later versions seemed to have remedied this, but cost way more than I would ever use.

13. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    My 2016 prediction is the next APS-C camera Sony release is going to blow our socks off. And will be available before the end of March :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. nighttrain

nighttrain TalkEmount Regular

Dec 9, 2014
    FWIW, when I purchased my a6000 recently the sales rep said she had seen the new model but couldn't discuss it.

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Lets hope so