1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Still awaiting adapters!

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Petrochemist, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist TalkEmount Regular

Oct 19, 2018
    North Essex UK
    Mike
    My camera arrived last week, but none of the adapters I've ordered have arrived yet (except for a reversing ring).

My macro shots are not inspiring, but at our clubs meeting tonight we were playing with focus effects - so I tried some free-lensing (with a UV filter on the reversing ring to keep the sensor clean).

Here's a shot through my 180mm projector lens:
    freelensing MN.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hopefully there won't be too long to wait before I can adapt lenses properly!

• Like Like x 4
  2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hi there.

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Welcome! Waiting for adapters, while these lenses and camera sit in front of you, I know all about it.

5. Petrochemist

Oct 19, 2018
    North Essex UK
    Mike
    Thanks for the welcomes I've been lurking here long enough that I assumed I'd already introduced myself - better do that today :blush:

It's a long time since it been so severe for me. I guess I should have paid more attention to delivery times when ordering the adapters.

My DSLRs all take lenses I've had for over 30 years, so no wait there.
    My first mirrorless (Panasonic G1 brought used ~6 years ago) arrived IIRC about the same time as the first adapter & the remaining MFT cameras could use the same adapters (and later native glass too)

Yes I've had times when I've not got an adapter for a lens with a new to me mount but that's generally less annoying, none of my lenses offer as many new features to play with as a new body does.

If I'm lucky the e-mount to MFT adapter will arrive soon (ETA is from tomorrow) then I should be able to adapt most of my lenses via stacked adapters. Then I may have to book a days holiday to have daylight to play with some of them in...

6. pellicle

pellicle TalkEmount Veteran

Hey, welcome.
    What camera did you get?

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Welcome to the forum!
    Wow, that's a pretty good free-lensed image. Now you've inspired me to try this. I know there is an old Kodak slide projector in the garage somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Petrochemist

Oct 19, 2018
    North Essex UK
    Mike
    I went for a NEX6 quite old now I know but I plan on converting it to full spectrum (my existing IR camera is v poor for UV, and I hear e-mount converts to be much better).

Of course there are other features of the camera I'm growing to like in the meantime :) 

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Petrochemist

Oct 19, 2018
    North Essex UK
    Mike
    Thanks, there were certainly a few junk shots taken last night as well, it does help to shade the gap between camera & lens as much as possible.
    There lots of variation in projector lenses some of mine (Cine models?) need to be nearly touching the sensor & have useless coverage as well.
    I've had reasonable results on helicoids for my 50mm/1.2, 40mm perspective control & 85mm/2.8 versions when playing with MFT. I think all of these will cover APSC comfortably & probably FF as well. I don't know why but I've never managed to get my 150mm one to focus at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    NEX-6 is still fine especially for manual shooting adapted glass. There are a few here (but not me) that have done IR conversions of their Sony bodies. It is certainly an interesting look to the images.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Petrochemist

Oct 19, 2018
    North Essex UK
    Mike
    My NEX-MFT adapter came this afternoon, so I now have a huge selection of lenses to try out :) 

Quick tests round the house so far this evening suggest usable results should be achievable with:
    a MFT-MD shift adapter & 19mm lens (no vignetting seen at full shift),
    a MFT-PK tilt mount (no vignetting at full tilt in my 28mm 'macro', or with a 600mm catadioptric)
    my manual native MFT lenses (both fish eyes have a near circular hard vignette, the Samyang 300mm covers OK)
    a MFT-EF focal reducer in turn adapted to a PK 24mm macro ( no vignetting visible mounted forwards or reversed)
    So all three of the adapters I was most worried about are usable :biggrin:
    In addition My LTM mount Industar & 24mm Auto 110 lenses look very promising. I know there'll be more issues with the c-mount lenses many of them can't even cover MFT.
    All I need now is to find some inspiration & a few nice uncluttered subjects.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.