Stiff Focus Ring on CV 28mm and Nikon 50mm Series E for Portraits

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by andre, Mar 4, 2013.

1. andre

andre New to TalkEmount

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi everyone! I've spend a lot of time reading about legacy lenses (thanks to all the awesome posts on this forum) and finally settled on the CV 28 Ultron for street photography and the Nikon 50mm 1.8 SeriesE for portraiture.

I love the 50mm with its crazy, wild, and yes, distracting bokeh. The lens on the crop sensor makes for an ideal portrait lens and I love the way it render colours (pastelish with slightly low-contrast). It's also super cheap and light.

The Voigtlander 28mm 2.0 on the other hand.... well the jury is still out. For one thing, it's not cheap! Second, the focus tab/ring is amazingly stiff and I was wondering if anyone else had issue with it? What do you guys think? Any other options for a street lens that isn't too big, fast (2.8 minimum) and on the wider end? Thanks lots!

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    First, welcome to the forum. :)

Now, the CV 28 should be very smooth to operate. Is it a new lens, or used? If new, send it back for replacement. If it's used and you can't send it back then you have to decide if the image quality you get from it is worth getting it looked at. I've never shot the Ultron, but I'm quite happy with my CV28/3.5.

Re: other street lenses- there are any number of legacy slr lenses that meet your criteria, it all depends on exactly what you want. Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Olympus- pick a manufacturer, any will have something suitable.