Sticker Shock - Hoya 72mm Graduated Neutral Density Filter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by roundball, Mar 1, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looking around, I was shocked at the cost of a Hoya screw-in 72mm Graduated ND Filter.

Don't know if or how much is just for the name Hoya so thought I'd ask:

Is there another brand screw-in as good as Hoya that doesn't require a 2nd mortgage?

2. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    i have been using the Singh-Ray Filters, they are slip on and should work with all but the largest of lenses

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks...really interested in learning about possible screw-on types right now

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  4. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I am assuming you are talking about round-filters. If that is the case, round graduated ND filters are the worst option. They always have the separation line in the middle, so unless you plan to have all your shots with the separation between "land" and "sky" in the middle (which compositionally quite often does not work), you should get a filter holder system.

These systems use square filters, that you can adjust up and down on the filter holder, for precise and careful positioning of the separation line. But be aware that the best ones are really expensive...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for that...those are the kinds of issues I'm trying to learn about to make a decision.
    I'm aware of the square filters / filter holder approach but wasn't crazy about the idea of carrying / dealing with extra odds & ends while out in the field...ie: hiking back in through the woods alongside a lake...low light situations around the time of sunsets, etc.
    But if the round ones have this noticeable line you cautioned about, that would be a deal-breaker... does seem odd though that they could sell the round ones at all with that issue.

6. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    It's not an issue it's just physics. To be clear, they are talking about graduated filters so the line referenced is the point where the dark part of the filter meets the clear part. It is not a line pursay.
    This is not a defect, it's what you want. This allows you to darken on part of the frame while leaving the rest alone.

Square filters have this "line" in the midde too, but because they are not permanently encased they can be slid up or down accordingly.

Also, a grad nd is not the type we discussed in your thread. Those where solid nd filters used to darken the entire frame to control exposure time. Grad NDs are used to darken specific areas of the frame(that's why the line). Particularly when the sky is much brighter than the land.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Yes, got that, thanks

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
  9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Also ran across this writeup by Tiffen about it's 2 stop G-ND filter:
    • Feathered edge is neither soft nor hard, providing a natural-appearing taper between the density and clear areas of the filter.

• Like Like x 1