1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Black Elk, May 16, 2019 at 6:51 AM.

1. Black Elk

Black Elk TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 28, 2019
    This is a part of the National Air and Space Museum that is located in Washington DC. The Udvar-Hazy Center is located just South of Dulles International Airport. The Center is amazing and has a wonderful display of airplanes/gliders/helicopters/satellites. I took these pictures last Saturday while visiting with my two sons. I used a Sony a6000/Sigma 16mm f1.4.

This is the first Boeing 707. It was designated the Dash 80. However, the jet engines on this plane are not the ones on the first plane. The engines in this picture are JT3D/TF33 turbofans. The original engines were JT3C/J57 turbojets.

On Aug. 7, 1955, Boeing’s chief of flight testing, the legendary Alvin “Tex” Johnston, pulled an impressive stunt in the prototype of the Boeing 707. He did a barrel roll over Lake Washington in Seattle during an airshow. It was the first and last barrel roll for the Boeing 707. It was not planned; he did it on his own. Boeing management was not happy.

B70780.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SR-71

SR71.jpg

SR71a.jpg

Space Shuttle Discovery

Shuttle.jpg

Concorde

Concord.jpg

Vought F4U Corsair

Corsair.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    What??? No satellite pictures?
    You got a partial one of the TDRSS that is hanging above the shuttle in your picture.

3. Black Elk

Mar 28, 2019
    Excellent catch on the TDRSS satellite. What is your link/background? When I completed my military career in 1987 I went to work for TRW. We built the first seven TDRSS satellites. One was lost in the Challenger shuttle accident. I will look at my pics and see if I have any other satellite photos.

4. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Feb 17, 2015
    I was at TRWonderful during that time.
    Then I got to go to the follow-on builder and work on the next generation too.
    Thanks for your service to our country.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Airplane museums are wonderful

Well done :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Black Elk

Mar 28, 2019
    You are welcome. It was a great career. At about the 17 year mark Northrop-Grumman acquired TRW. It was a sad day for us. I worked another 8 years and retired at the 25 year mark. Not to bite the hand that fed me but the work situation/environment with NG started to go down hill. TRW was very people oriented; NG was not. Granted, the company is not there to cater to the employee needs but we sure appreciated the environment at TRW.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.