1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Steve Huff has really lost credibility this time :(

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Dec 18, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    The guy is all over the new NEX 6 and 5R, and goes as far as stating that the new PDAF is "Fast. Nikon V1 fast".
    Well, NOT.
    I owned the 5N, and now own the 6 (have since release). The V1 has been widly acclaimed as DSLR like in AF performance, so even faster than the fastest m4/3 bodies. Neither of my NEX bodies can hold a candle to the AF speed of my previous GX-1.
    So Steve has done it again, go ape sh#t over the latest... While I enjoy his style, blog and reviews, this is just a BIG dent in the credibility of his recommendations.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Never trust Steve Huff. He knows as much as Ken Rockwell about cameras or even less. I like his style too and read his reviews because they sometimes bring up interesting points, but you can't take anything too serious..

3. lowincash

lowincash TalkEmount Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Kin
    Steve Huff always gets excited with whatever new toys he gets and every new one he gets is the best one yet lol I don't take his reviews too serious either, just interesting to read.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's a reason the two are referred to as "Rock Huffwell", regardless which one you are actually referring to.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Like many, I like Steve Huff's style of blog and reviews, I also like his images, but like Ken Rockwell, Thom Hogan, Ashwin Rao and many others, I take their reviews with a grain of salt, in the end it's their opinion, not mine, as to whether we subscribe to their point of view or not is another matter.

6. mikevint

mikevint New to TalkEmount

Aug 18, 2011
    Providence, RI
    I have not used the Nikon V1 but I did upgrade to a NEX-5R from a NEX-5 and the new hybrid autofocus is much faster in the 5R. I have not tried the NEX-6. Not all of the Sony e-mount lenses support the hybrid autofocus. Additionally the firmware of the lens has to be upgraded to enable the hybrid autofocus.

This post on the Sony blog lists the hybrid autofocus capable lenses:
    Sony Releases New Camera Firmware Updates; NEX-7 Fans Rejoice « SONY make.believe

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    This time?

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    well I think as my friends say,''he puts a lot of sauce to his tacos '', anyway I like the photos, and the blog for the daily inspirations, but their reviews are sometimes exaggerated.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    LOL...that's awesome.

10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Hahaha! I love that line, that's absolutely gold! I'll probably gonna start using that from now on.

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I'm not trying to defend him (because I do find his over-the-top style quite annoying), but he is well-known as a low-light shooter and he probably shot in less than ideal conditions with both. Perhaps the light levels at which the 6 and 5R catch up with the V1 are closer than older NEXs and he thus jumped to his conclusion?

12. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    is a mexican saying, then it's true¡¡¡¡ I guess

13. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I'd say that after playing around a bit with both a NEX-7 and a NEX-6, I'd trust the AF in the NEX-7 first. Seems more sure, less hunt.

14. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I used to work in PR, and getting a social media "presence" was all the rage a couple of years back. Companies started to tap bloggers to test-drive their products, and often threw in a lot of freebies (especially free holidays) to make it worth their while. And so bloggers changed a lot, from being independent and original to constrained by knowing if they are harsh their freebies would dry up very quickly. The only people who can independently and objectively review things (especially expensive equipment like new cameras) have to purchase them themselves, or be so important (e.g. DPReview) that camera makers want to send their best stuff to them for review. Anyone who relies on the free supply of test products, or worse, are quietly doing paid gigs for the companies, are unlikely to be reliable for any objectivity. Steve Huff has said himself that he simply doesn't review cameras he doesn't like (this is the easy way to not make enemies with camera makers while maintaining a veneer of respectability).

But that said, most cameras today are actually pretty good. Like plasma TVs, they've already reached both the price and quality points where most cameras can satisfy 99% of consumers. It follows that one shouldn't be surprised that there are a lot of good reviews out there, especially for anyone who is pushing boundaries in photo tech.

15. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I agree, I guess for me without being too cynical, I just find that there's a bit of conflict of interest when a reviewer is sponsored directly and at times indirectly by the company whose product is being reviewed, for as you mentioned freebies would quickly dwindle, as one does not bite the hand that feeds them.

That being said though, I also tend to take independent reviews lightly, not because I believe there's a conflict of interest or a hidden agenda, but simply because we are all different, bigger / smaller hands, heavier / lighter camera body, and so on and so forth and everyone will have a different opinion. Regarding reviews, I just tend to listen what they have to say, keep a look out for things I may want to watch out for, head to a brick or mortar shop, test it myself and form my own opinion regarding the gear ( I do realise, this is not the case for everyone, and not everyone can access a brick and mortar shop easily).

16. mobias

mobias TalkEmount Regular

Nov 4, 2012
    I like Steve Huff. The fact that he genuinely likes and appreciates what Sony are trying to do, push photography forward, is a big plus for any Sony user reading his blog. Ken Rockwell can't even string a coherent sentence together and has one of the most amateurish blogs I've ever read, its riddled with bad journalism. Why anyone gives him the time of day is beyond me. He goes on about being an artist yet his photographs are dreadful from what I've seen.
    Sony's big problem with these blogs, and indeed some more established websites, is that a lot of people (like Ken Rockwell almost by his own admission) well and truly hate them in a way they don't hate benign companies like Nikon or Canon or any of the others. Some people truly have it in for Sony for various reasons, some of which are actually fairly understandable. Sony do have a lot of PR to do but groundbreaking cameras like the RX-1 will help them there's no doubt about it.

The NEX 6 has the better autofocus from what I've read but it depends on what lens you use. It can only use its phase detection with certain newer lenses.

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    My two favorite and most respected bloggers, by far, are Thom Hogan and Kirk Tuck. Thom, because he's been at this for decades, is a marketing expert as well, and also happens to be an extremely polite and nice gentleman who takes the time to anwer ALL of his e-mails (pretty insane when you think the sheer number he's dealing with) within 48 h (albeit with a few sentences at times, but he does answer, and that represent a body of work I don't even want to think of). Kirk (who also answers his mail, by the way) has an opinon on gear (just like you or I do, and it's not any more valuable than ours) but he's also a master portraitist, king of lights, and a just a great analyst of life and art all around. If I was allowed to only ONE internet blog, it would be The Visual Science lab. I only regret the Flickr pool by the same name is pretty lame and goes without any text posts for months at a time (I've just given up writing there altogether), but the blog itself is golden.

18. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks for the heads-up, nianys - I'll have to check those guys out! :)

I'm currently partial to Ming Thein. I don't require my blog peers to endorse the gear I use - I do like to see some useful tutorials, well-informed opinions and not least of all an inspiring body of work.

19. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I enjoy reading Steve Huff's and Ken Rockwells reviews.

However, I only ever trust my own review having tried a piece of equipment for myself!

In short, I don't trust anyones experience but my own!
    I haven't let myself down yet. :D

20. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I understand we're all different and will assess gear based upon different needs and preferences. However, I just can't understand why anyone would claim something as blatantly outrageous as saying NEX's AF is getting FAST, it's hardly even playing catch up to the other mirrorless systems... Sure, it's probably better than Fuji's AF, but that's about it.