1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stepped up my studio game with a focusable Fresnel spotlight

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Jefenator, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    For years I've been making do with a 75 watt flood bulb, a window cill and my landlord's yard. :p I figured maybe it was time to invest in some real lighting gear. Turns out, I figured right!!

Here's an old product shot, made with the flood bulb:

old-1.

Gets the job done, but there is certainly room for improvement. I chose an Arri 150 Fresnel light for its rugged construction and small lens. (When working in tight quarters and trying to cut down on reflections, the smaller, the better...)

studio.

fresnel-demo.

Even without any modifiers, the light is a nice improvement. On the right, it looks similar to the old flood bulb, but with a smaller reflection. Just focusing the light to the "spot" setting (as seen on the left) yields a significant change.

Add a snoot and things get really exciting!

black-bg-1.

I'm also using my arm to help shade the background even more. I think my shallow-focus phase is over and I'm going to start overdoing dramatic dark backgrounds for a while! ;)

fresnel-ppw-1.

I like the NEX-7 for this kind of stuff. The wafer-thin body is not so great for a long macro lens on a tripod, but the full-time live view is certainly a joy to work with.

2. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    One more shot...

This piece I shot Friday night has already sold. I think this new light is going to work out just fine! ;)

fresnel-ppw-2.

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    looks good,how much are these things

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Beauty! I love it when small investments yield big dividends!! :)

5. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Here's my ETSY store. 100+ listings, 5-6 shots per listing, I guess I'm becoming a product shooter, whether I want to be or not!

Jeff Addicott Glassworks by JAglassworks on Etsy

See if you can spot the Fresnel light shots from last year's floodlight bulb shots - I know I sure can! ;)

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice setup, if a bit much for many of us.

7. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    LOL - I wouldn't necessarily call this investment "small". With a stand, bulbs, modifiers, reflector, diffuser, a few clamps and mounting arms, and a new tripod head, it all adds up to quite a pretty penny!

It is however a pretty good sign when the very first listing I submit with better-lit photos gets snatched up within 48 hours in the dead of January. I could maybe see this paying for itself by the end of this year. :) (Probably correlates better with sales than any camera or lens I've bought...)

8. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Scary thing is, by serious studio lighting standards, this is really very sparse. :eek:

9. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That really makes a difference in the shots Jeff. I think this will probably pay off for in increased sales. Or at least quicker sales. :)

10. Derichuk

Derichuk TalkEmount Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Deric
    I love the starburst in this photo!

11. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Jef the lighting is very pro, and I'm a big fan or your art :)

12. Jefenator

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Alas, the ones outdoors with the actual sun are still way better. I'm working on it, though... :)

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Jeff, love your shots and your products!!!

(I'll show these to my wife - I bet she'll be wanting to buy some :D)