Starting with flash training

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by alaios, Dec 5, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Hi there,
    I am an owner of f3 flash and what is still bother me with the flash is that when I take the shot I have always to predict how the scene will look like at the end.

Typically I either end with very harsh direct lighting, or when I bounce the flash through the ceiling very hard shadows in the portraits (as light comes from up down to the face).

I think there are two major thinks I should understand
    -the theory of flash lighting and how it interacts with the materials (I am a reading geek and I want to know theory)
    -see if I should get an upgrade. Should I go for the nex flash Sony HVL-F20S or perhaps a flash that I would be able to use with future bodies (I would prefer the second option). What type of flashes are out there and what price ranges?

I would like to thank you in advance for your reply

2. loonsailor

loonsailor TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Berkeley, CA, USA
    You're correct, that the built-in on-camera flash will very rarely give you beautiful results. An external flash mounted on the hot shoe or a bracket is somewhat better - more power, more control, a bit further from the lens - but is still a compromise. Bounce and/or a diffuser can help, and sometimes it's good enough, or the only option. Moving the flash off-camera gives far more control, and often much more attractive results. The good news is the equipment is not particularly expensive. It all depends on what you want to do with flash, Alex. If you're snap-shooting, or doing a wedding, on-camera flash is what you need. If you're doing portraits or interiors, you definitely want to learn to get the flash off the camera.

The best place that I've seen to start learning is at Go through his "lighting 101" tutorial. It will be a good base of knowledge, and you can figure out what you want to do next from there.
  3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I can second this. There are very cheap powerful manual flashes out there (I ordered a Wansen WS 560 before Christmas for about 30 Euro). I have Allacax Nex II flash transmitter and receiver and few umbrellas, bounce cards, lambency light spheres and cheap lightning stands (copies of Manfrotto nano). All this wasn't expensive and you can make some of the stuff yourself (I am going to bend an acrylic bounce card today into its spoon shape).