• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Starting up the learning curve with Infrared Photography

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
Good stuff Bill. I hope I can get a chance to get mine out soon (since I found my charger and spare batt's). Supposed to rain all day here today.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Had a new roof put on the house Friday & half of Saturday...beautiful October weather for the job, then rain started Sunday night and its rained ever since. Trailing edge of the storm was getting patchy late this afternoon and during a brief period of bright sunshine I took an IR shot of the house & new roof. Wish the small Cedar tree wasn't right in the way but it was the most open view of the whole house, and the shot still works for my purposes...just sharing it for the sake of Infrared.
Canon FDn 28-85/4.0, IR/NEX-7

View attachment 65415 http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rou...ChSwp_PBShad50Con25PBS25_zpsvymte7jb.jpg.html

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
That 2nd one might have really popped if the sky had been clear for a dark blue

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
That 2nd one might have really popped if the sky had been clear for a dark blue
Yeah I know Bill. I didn't expect a lot of good scenes today. It has been overcast for 24 hrs, rained this morning, and is supposed to be rainy all day tomorrow.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Between being tied up for 2-3 days having a new roof installed...then shut in by 3 days of dark, cloudy, rainy WX...when I finally went for a drive on a clear day yesterday and saw the condition of the trees I worried I may have missed most of the fall colors peak, but figured I'd find a few spots today, tomorrow, next couple days.
Unfortunately a huge rain front that was moving mostly north has now turned east and will be sitting right over GA, SC, NC, VA until Thursday so I've basically lost this fall's colors.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
This is a really interesting shot Bill. I'm really surprised that you could get all the colors into it.
So far I've mainly just been doing the 2 major actions like AWB + Channel Swap. This time I experimented playing around with additional things like Highlights, Shadows, Saturation, etc...and was also surprised so many colors came out.

Here's the same shot without the Red/Blue channel swap...just AWB then a few tweaks like I listed...whiter foliage but overall, I think the channel swap is the better image due to the sky.

View attachment 65636

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
So far I've mainly just been doing the 2 major actions like AWB + Channel Swap. This time I experimented playing around with additional things like Highlights, Shadows, Saturation, etc...and was also surprised so many colors came out.

Here's the same shot without the Red/Blue channel swap...just AWB then a few tweaks like I listed...whiter foliage but overall, I think the channel swap is the better image due to the sky.

View attachment 65638

Bill, I like the first one better too.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Just a simple Infrared test shot in the neighborhood early this morning to see what trees & fog would look like in cloudy / foggy conditions before sunup...pleasantly surprised to see so much IR light reflected in these conditions.
Canon FDn 35-105/3.5, IR/NEX-7

View attachment 65699

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
Just a simple Infrared test shot in the neighborhood early this morning to see what trees & fog would look like in cloudy / foggy conditions before sunup...pleasantly surprised to see so much IR light reflected in these conditions.
Canon FDn 35-105/3.5, IR/NEX-7

View attachment 65700
I like it. RB swap?

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
Routine small lake scenic, Infrared shot under cloudy / gloomy conditions.
Canon FDn 24-35/3.5-L, IR/NEX7

View attachment 65742
I think it is interesting Bill, that this image doesn't really look like an IR, but more like a typical B&W image. I think this is the result of the season and one reason why spring and summer are the best seasons for IR imaging. It is still a good image, if 'only' a B&W image. Well done.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Well, it's definitely an Infrared shot, tweaked with GIMP Channel Swap/Monochrome for a different look...just not the common classic snow white leaves variety.

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
One of things I'm finding appealing about Infrared, is that there are very little of the same tired old conventions about what an image 'should' look like. Here's that same IR shot with yet a different look:

View attachment 65744

slothead

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Thomas Manson
Here is the kind of stuff I got on that foggy morning this past Thursday. While you can see the nasic hue/tone of the images, the color band swap didn't work well at all and it may be that the colors just weren't strong enough. I don't remember exactly what I did in PP for these images, but do recall that in one of them I did the swap and it looked exactly the same afterwards.

PB050474c5.jpg
   ---            

PB050476c1.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom