1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Starry Night

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by ecaggiani, Jul 5, 2013.

1. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    A couple of night sky shots. SONY NEX-3N, f/3.5 @ 17 mm, 30s, ISO 400, using 16-50mm kit lens on a tripod.

Night Sky With Trees.

Night Sky With Trees 2.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I absolutely love that shade of blue in an evening sky. :)

3. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Me too, Bimjo. Since this was a 30 second exposure, I didn't even see the blue until after I took the pictures. I'm totally digging nighttime/tripod/long exposure photography :)

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, long exposures at night rock. ;)

5. clydestuh

clydestuh TalkEmount Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Wonderful pictures! I just hope my pictures turn out even half as good as these images when I shoot the Milky Way tomorrow with the 7.

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Those are beautiful.

Why choose ISO400 and 30sec? Why not ISO200 and a stop slower shutter speed. What's the benefit of keeping it no slower than 30 sec

I'm not being critical, I'm trying to learn and know nothing about this

7. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    EDIT: Oops, sorry I just noticed you asked why I didn't shoot in 200 :) Only reason is honestly because I never changed it from what I had it set to before and I liked how my first picture came out.

But my answer below is also true :)

--------

Basically I like to keep my ISO as low as I can to keep noise at a minimum. If I were to increase it to 800 or more, I would start seeing some noise in the dark areas. Of course, it's mostly only noticeable when zoomed in but I think the cleaner the better.

8. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    Thanks! I'm sure the 7 can handle it ;-)

And by the way, I shot this in raw and improved it a lot in Lightroom. Amazing what a few little tweaks can uncover. I'll never shoot jpg again.

Sent from my EVO using TalkNEX mobile app

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Lower the ISO for a longer shutter speed? Bad idea. 30 seconds are already too long according to the Rule of 500. I, for example, shoot most of my night landscapes at ISO 3200 and f/1.8 or f/2.8.

10. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I am trying to learn about long exposure night photography and had to look this up as I was unfamiliar with it. Here is an article that explains it pretty well for anyone else unfamiliar.

David Kingham Photography | How to avoid Star Trails with the '500 Rule'

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I was wondering how you managed to avoid a star trail with a 30 sec. exposure. When I've tried that with my 16-50, I start seeing them after ~20 secs.

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Really nice photos!!!

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Ah, now I get it

14. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It depends on much more than just focal length. For example, your position on earth, time of the year, pixel countvon your sensor (it doesn't matter when printed at the same size, but it does indeed matter on screen), your height above sea level and much, much more. I've developed a formula which includes these and many more data, and it can well differ half a stop from the rule of 500, but usually, you're safe with this rule.

To the thread starter - the stars here already form micro star trails, some seconds less would've helped here.

15. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    This is why I love TalkNex! I'm a total newbie with this so I love to learn. Thank you for the tip, it makes total sense. Yes I see the micro trails the stars are starting to generate. A higher ISO would let me take a shorter exposure leading to much crisper stars. The noise level at higher ISOs is actually pretty mild on the NEX, plus Lightroom 5 does a great job cleaning things up. I'll try that next time. Thanks again!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using TalkNEX mobile app

16. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Oh no! I don't have LR :( do you have bullet points on which areas you post processed (ex. Brightness, contrast, etc)? Ill be at Death Valley which below sea level and the widest lens ill have is a 19mm 2.8.

17. ecaggiani

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    I increased the exposure a tad, increased contrast a little, and changed the white balance since it was originally a bit too purple for me.

I may have also tweaked the noise reduction ever so slightly to remove some grain when zoomed in.

Sent from my EVO using TalkNEX mobile app

18. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    First, Death Valley in July???!!!! :eek:

But I'm no one to talk, I once went there on a motorcycle in August, where it was just me and the crazy Germans and Italians. :p

Second, if you're going to be shooting the night sky there, you may want to consider driving up to Dante's View, where you'll have about 5,000 fewer feet of atmospheric haze to shoot through. Plus, while down in the valley it's likely to be unbearably hot and less than photographically optimal, up there it will only be extremely hot and much better, photographically speaking.

Free advice, and worth every penny! :D

19. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    A 19mm 2.8 is okay for starting. And you don't need LR, Nik Software's Define 2 does a great job getting rid of the noise.

20. clydestuh

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for the advice gentlemen. Ill update you all with the Death Valley adventure. Again beautiful shots eccagiani!