1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Standard Zoom For NEX?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by jiamflash, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jiamflash

jiamflash New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2011
    I have been standing by the fence of the NEX system for while now. Brilliant sensors, brilliant body, keen pricing, but the lack of a mid grade stand ardzoom is keeping me from pulling the trigger.
    There are currently two choices:
    the kit 18-55: nothing great, nothing wrong, your typical kit lens
    the 18-200: report to have above average image quality for a super zoom, huge size on a NEX, expensive

I been using a LX5 as a walk around camera. While the Sony APS-C sensors absolutely poop over the LX5 sensor(3-4 stop difference), the LX5 lens is also 1.5 stop faster through out the range. In compared to the kit lens, I also losing significant range on both end (24mm eqv. is huge for me).

When I invest @600+ on a new camera body, I really want something better than the kit lens(not that the kit lens is bad) as I don't feel I am gaining much from a LX5. I am really hoping for something like 16-85mm 3.5-5.6 for the NEX.

What do you think?

2. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    The LX5 may be faster, but like you said, the sensor on the NEX is exponentially better than the tiny P&S sensor of the LX5. Even with the kit 18-55, you will see a difference in resolution/detail and dynamic range for sure. Best way to see the different is try it out yourself. Go to a camera shop, bring a memory card, and take a few photos. Or buy it from a shop with good return policy. If you don't want to invest $600+, I'm sure you can find a NEX3 for $400 or less in Ebay or in the forums. The "old" 14 meg sensor in the first generation NEX3/5 is not shabby at all.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    As Armando said, you'll get a very different look from the NEX sensor than you get from the LX5 sensor. You'll also get a mechanically linked zoom, and of course, the ability to use other lenses.

Many stores now have 30-day return policies without restocking fees. Maybe try an NEX and see whether it offers you enough to make the switch? Hopefully we'll see something like an 16-85 soon, but I wouldn't count on it. All available R&D is probably going into making a smaller, video-optimized 18-55.

4. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I am also waiting a replacement for 24-60mm range, but the only one announced so far is for Samsung 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 which will be available at the end of this year. Panasonic has the x lenses but they don't have a date yet. So for one lens solution you can wait.

On the Sony side you can get the double kit lens, 16mm and 18-55mm and also add the cheaper 55-210 zoom for a 24mm to 315mm range. Other then the 16mm, the kit zooms are slow and it might take a few years to have the other options. Even m43 with their early start don't have any fast/24-xx zooms, only fast primes.

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    The 'G' high performance standard zoom will be released 2012. It's been on the lens road map since the end of 2010.

6. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    That's blah thing about the Sony lens road map ... slower than slow. We are about to see a total of five NEX bodies (with four already available) before the end of the year, but we've seen only three native lenses so far. And none are fast. Let's hope all three other lenses scheduled for 2011 actually make it to the market in 2011.

@Amin - smaller 18-55? That's for real? Smaller but faster would be nice!

7. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    We've seen four so far and four more this year. That's eight. As I pointed out elsewhere that's the same release rate as Olympus and Panasonic managed in a comparable period.

8. jiamflash

jiamflash New to TalkEmount

Sep 16, 2011
    Agreed, I think I'll find a local store to give it a try. It's sad to say, although I live in the SF Bay Area, I do not have any decent camera stores(not Ritz cam and Bestbuy) in a 20 mile radius...