• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Stabilization on adapted zooms....

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
Maybe I missed this somewhere, but today I took my Maxxum 28-135 (Secret Handshake) out for a spin on my A7RII and realized that I hadn't thought through how the IBIS would work with an adapted zoom. Now, for this outing I turned out to be a crazy person. I was setting the IBIS mode to manual and setting the focal length each time I changed zoom. When I got home, lightroom knew what the lens was (or at least the 28-135 and aperture range) and seemed to know what focal lengths I was using for each shot. (maybe that was related to me setting the IBIS, i don't know) Now a lot of that info, i'm sure, was coming from the LA-EA4. (i'm still convinced it's magic. how does it identify the 28-135? As far as i know, that was made before that info was being transmitted to the camera!!)

Anyhow - for, say, SR mount zooms. Or my Tamron Adaptall-2 zooms. I am assuming the dumb adapter will have no way of knowing the lens, so how would you set the IBIS? Leave it on Auto? Change it every time you change zoom? Set it for the longest focal length the lens has?

-James

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Maybe I missed this somewhere, but today I took my Maxxum 28-135 (Secret Handshake) out for a spin on my A7RII and realized that I hadn't thought through how the IBIS would work with an adapted zoom. Now, for this outing I turned out to be a crazy person. I was setting the IBIS mode to manual and setting the focal length each time I changed zoom. When I got home, lightroom knew what the lens was (or at least the 28-135 and aperture range) and seemed to know what focal lengths I was using for each shot. (maybe that was related to me setting the IBIS, i don't know) Now a lot of that info, i'm sure, was coming from the LA-EA4. (i'm still convinced it's magic. how does it identify the 28-135? As far as i know, that was made before that info was being transmitted to the camera!!)

Anyhow - for, say, SR mount zooms. Or my Tamron Adaptall-2 zooms. I am assuming the dumb adapter will have no way of knowing the lens, so how would you set the IBIS? Leave it on Auto? Change it every time you change zoom? Set it for the longest focal length the lens has?

-James
For dumb adapter lenses you must set IBIS manually (everytime you zoom). Or disable it. There is no Auto or general setting.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
All my adapters are dumb. That being said, when I've used a MF zoom on my cameras, I usually set the IBIS to the longest focal length of the lens. My logic being that that is the focal length most sensitive to movement of the camera. So far it's worked out well for me, IMO.
YMMV as they say.

mingus2112

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. That seems logical, AlwaysOnAuto.

WNG - are you able to set a custom button to get to that setting?

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The LA-EA4 is not a dumb adapter, so it can pass through whatever information it can gather from the lens electronics. My assumption would be that the adapter is able to decode that information even on a very old lens, as the camera bodies of that day would need enough communication with the lens to drive things like autofocus. It is cool they did bother to do that decoding.

I recall that you can add the IBIS FL setting function to the Fn menu. Not sure about assigning it to a button, maybe.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Thanks guys. That seems logical, AlwaysOnAuto.

WNG - are you able to set a custom button to get to that setting?
Yes you can. Since I only shoot manual focus lenses on my A7II, I've assigned C1 for enable/disable of IBIS. And C3 for selecting IBIS focal length.

Top Bottom