Spring for NEX 5N Body Now or Wait for NEX6?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Biro, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2012
    I was browsing the web last night and saw that Unique Photo in New Jersey still offers the NEX 5N body-only at $399. I am most interested in the NEX6 but that'll be about $1000 with the kit zoom. I wonder if it's worth going for this body now with an inexpensive Pentax K-mount adaptor or one of the Sigma primes. The idea would be to get into the NEX system for a while a minimal expense. The adaptor and prime lens might very well be things I'd buy anyway if I eventually got the NEX6. Just thinking aloud. Any thoughts are welcome.
  2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 7, 2012
    I'd wait either way. If you want a NEX 6, get a 6. If you want the 5N, it'll be cheaper once the flood of 6s/5rs hit the retail pipeline and stores blowout the 5N to make space.
  3. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    It's a dilemma, indeed. Getting a cheapo body now to see how you like it is wise in itself, however, might become an expensive proposition if you want to change soon enough for the 6.
    I know I personally miss the use of an EVF quite a bit, and didn't hesitate pre-ordering the 6 for many upgrades over the 5N. My motives are (you can always see if some of those resonate with you).

*Built-in EVF (paramount)
    *Standard hotshoe to use my SB-600 (VERY important to me, I've been making do with the Sony dinky flash pretty well, but getting back the option of shooting in portrait orientation is going to be heavenly).
    *Much better external controls (a real mode dial, and a couple of extra customizable buttons)
    *Much improved user interface (I think they call it Quick Navi, and it's pretty similar to Oly's SCP). Noticeably there is a sort of "my menu" screen that calls back your five or six most used options. I've been missing that SORELY on the 5N.
    *Built-in bounceable flash was very useful on the GX-1, and I expect it to work similarly on the 6.
    *Better ergonomics, more grip, better coating. The 5N is a little soap bar of a camera, I'm not fond of its handling.
    *Bottom hinged tilt screen. 5N has top hinged screen The stealth factor is very different. Top hinged screen (when tilted 90°) can be seen by the subject. Bottom is hidden from subject, so you can "shoot from the waist" unconspicuously. Good for street, shy people, etc.
    *WIFI, pretty cool for direct download to phone and/or social network.
    *Last but not least, better zoom lens, and HOPEFULLY usable AF, at last. IMHO AF on the 5N is barely usable (I've gotten more keepers focusing manually, ouch).
    Those are my reasons to upgrade. Your mileage may totally vary. For me the 5 is a cracking fun camera as a manual focus nut's toy, but it's not viable as a primary, do-it-all camera. I'm hoping the 6 might be.
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    I picked up a 5n and have been very pleased with it but it really depends on what kinds of things are important to you. I shoot available light so a hot shoe for flash wasn't a big priority and I find the NEX UI useable once you get used to it. I would have liked the mode dial on the NEX 6 but then again I shoot almost exclusively in aperture priority so one I set it I rarely change it. I did however buy an external EVF because they have dropped dramatically in price I got a really nice one (used) for $200 shipped. I like the fact that I can flip up the EVF as well as the LCD. So the $399 for the 5n and the $200 for the EVF was a pretty nice package and I saved about $250 over the price of a NEX 6. Mind you, I think the NEX 6 looks to be a terrific camera and if you need/want the additional features it brings to the table then the 5n won't be something you'll be satisfied with.
  5. Biro

Biro TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 21, 2012
    Hmmm... sounds like the 5N might be fun but really would only be something I'd be interested in until I got the 6.
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    If you're not bent for an EVF,
    Then the 5N allows you to have more $$ for lenses :cool:
  7. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    i agree
  8. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Yep, makes sense to wait - it's only a month or so isn't it until the 6 is released? The list above by nianys is quite compelling too - a good summary of the advantages over the 5n. If you are desperate for a digital back for your legacy lenses while you wait for the 6 you could always pick up an older Nex 3 or C3 or 5 - still a pretty decent sensor and they are dirt cheap if you can find a used one in good condition.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    There's always a "leap of faith" involved in trying out a different camera system. You want to see if it offers anything better than you currently have but you are wary of spending too much money doing it. I took the cheap route of buying a used 5N, and while it has given me a taste of the NEX system I have to keep my expectations in line with it not being a particularly high-end body and that I am using it only with the kit zoom. Would the NEX6 be better suited to me? Maybe, but that would be an expensive curiousity to satisfy.
  10. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I bought the 5n as an entry into the nex system, based on iq and budget price. The plan being to upgrade to 6 or 7 when the price comes down, if necessary. For now I'm happy with the 5n, sigma 30 and am planning to buy some manual lenses too. Horses for courses :)
  11. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Read on another forum that those who pre-ordered the Nex 6 from Sony UK received it today - so I guess it won't be long until they start shipping elsewhere? (Although amazon UK says not released until 21 November?).