1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Spring Arrives in Changsha

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by ChangshaNotes, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
  2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Excellent stuff! Really like the composition in all three of them, and B&W works for me here.

3. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Great stuff! I really like your processing.

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I'm a fan of you , I love The PP en your Photos, looks very stronger , nice :)

5. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    No spring here, that's for sure. I love these shots, from the subject matter to the processing. AWESOME!

6. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Very nice shots, though I'd love to see the first one in colour too. Particularly like the composition on the last one.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Totally agree with what Freddy said ;)

Colin, I'm a big fan of your photography - I just love how you always nail composition and your PP work :thumbup:
    And for the record, all three shots are great but if I had to pick a favourite then it would be #2 ;)

8. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Ok, so lifting the curtain. I like a hard contrast look. It feels right for what I see around here. I usually de-saturate and push the image to harshness for street shots but still in colour. I know that's not everyones cup of tea, but it's what I like. This image I liked for some reason (don't know why - not worried about it) but it's waaay too busy, so I took a look at it in B&W and liked it. With the other images, I just decided to follow this PP to make some sort of set.

Here's the original RAW imported to Aperture exported to jpeg. It's nothing, I can't say what it is about it that kept my interest..

i-k8ptNWr-1024x1024.

9. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks for all the kind comments everybody.

10. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, between the B&W and color shots I prefer the color because the young lady gets lost in the background of the B&W shot. I do like the high contrast of these shots a lot though. :)

11. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Let a hundred flowers bloom, as Mao said. I like my tea strong and full-bodied, and my own photos processed with a lighter touch. But there's something about your high-contrast images that just seems to work for me, Colin. Maybe it's the subject matter. Maybe it's what you feel about the subject. Dunno. But it works.

And I want the concession for those little plastic stools. Everywhere you go in south-east Asia, there are billions of them!

12. 6so

6so TalkEmount Regular

Nov 18, 2012
    2nd photo looks good but overall editing felt overly strong on contrast or clarity. Kinda unnatural at first glance.

13. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Here is the same series with my normal street PP.

DSC06229-1024x1024.

DSC06218-1024.

DSC06223-1024x1024.

14. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Nah...full B&W are better IMO. I think you killed (as in a good way) the PP on those.

15. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    Well done!!

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I prefer your normal processing compared to the super contrasty style, but mainly it's becasue the subject tends to get lost in the background in the super contrasty shots.

Or maybe I'm just used to yor normal processing now. ;)

17. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Thanks. I agree it's totally unnatural, but the harshness is part of what I feel here. I know it's strong.

Those of you that have seen my photos from Canada might have noticed that the contrast or detail wasn't as strong. It's about trying to represent the feeling of being in the same situation as I see it. Of course I don't represent it as well as a better photographer would but the severity is what I see.

You might think from the photos that I prefer Canada to China but I don't. I couldn't wait until I got I back. But it's still a harsh place in my view.

By the way, I especially